Chapter 12: Ties of a failed past

A leaf flew in the dance of winds, carried from the earth up to the heavens. In the whirlwind, Sasuke's eyes got covered by strands of hair. He gently took them off and put them back in their place.

"What made you return for me?" Jūgo asked.

"Eh, let's say that I learned from some old friends that there are certain ties that bind you to paths that you were unable to see before," Sasuke said.

"Let's just say I want to explore those paths with new eyes," he added.

Jūgo watched closely as he listened. He had known Sasuke through his darkest times, and while he seemed the same old Sasuke that he knew, composed and in control, a man of few words and direct action, there was something new, something changed about him.

He never really questioned Sasuke much. Just trusted him completely. Being the only one who could help keep in control his abilities after Kimimaro had been gone, for Jūgo, Sasuke meant a lot. The rest of the world might have seen the last survivor of the Sharingan clan as a curse, but not him. For Jūgo, Sasuke was a blessing. So, for that reason alone, he never really questioned any of his commands or decisions.

And it wasn't the case now. It wasn't inquisitive questioning. More like... curious one. After all, given the new political regime they were all finding themselves in, Jūgo never really expected to see Sasuke ever again. Like the rest of Team Taka. That was partly the reason why they all returned and stayed with Orochimaru. Or well, he did, as Karin and Suigetsu had already left the hideout.

But Sasuke returning for him had never been a thought to cross his mind. He expected him to be held captive for what the world saw as crimes given the political regime they lived in. Or, in the best-case scenario, expected him to get back to his former teammates.

He guessed as much that those were probably the old friends that he referred to.

"Let me guess, your former teammates?" Jūgo asked.

Sasuke nodded.

"I figured as much," he said.

"How did things go? What happened with them, with you? Last time, you and Konoha and the whole shinobi world..." he paused.

"Let's just say that my aid in the war was crucial and well... they agreed to let me roam the world free. For now, at least" Sasuke said.

But this was all too simple. Those were all surface-level details. What laid deeper? Sasuke was a man of deep oceans of emotions. Yes, the waters above might be clear, but what about the depths of his being?

"And what about you and... Konoha? I know you helped them in the war, but... you said, you know..." Jūgo asked again, tilting his head to the side, reminiscing the times when he said his only goal was to destroy his former homeland. Sure, he helped them in the war, but the last thing Jūgo remembered about the situation, was Sasuke still wanting to cut those ties...

Thinking about Naruto, Sasuke spared a slight smile in the corner of his mouth.

"I do. I fought that battle and lost," he said smiling and serenely, looking at the sky above.

It was a tad bit odd to see Sasuke this way, but Jūgo couldn't help but smile and be content about it.

"I see..." he said.

If Sasuke was smiling while saying that, then it meant it was okay. Of course, it was strange to hear that he had lost, as he'd always been quite a skillful shinobi. But, eh, life sometimes was out there surprising one. He hid the best he could the fact that he was astounded though.

"It's okay," Sasuke said, sensing Jūgo's silent amazement.

"Not all defeats are losses. Some are just heavy burdens you carry, that life helps you get rid of, so it can make place for better things to come," Sasuke said.