7. the massacre

7. the massacre

          horse neighs is all i can hear through the trail we are traveling on. i could go my whole life only hearing it too, it's way more peaceful then people talking and talking about non sense. i'm riding close by lexa who was close by close.
"thinking about home?"
"thinking about whether arkadia is home. when i left, it had a different name. i was different"
"got a different name too"
"you left a hero to your people and you return one. the mountain slayer returns with the body of the ice queen. you bring them justice"
"you bring them justice"
"we bring them peace. and aspen will now be joining our peace"
"im not a very peaceful person"
"you will be for them"
"for you"
she smiles
"this ride is very peaceful though"
"you always loved riding, your sister was always jealous because your skills were higher than hers"
i laugh a bit, costia was always jealous of me. i was enjoying myself before i heard the yells
"heda! azgona!"
i smooch at my horse causing her to run to the warrior and what my eyes fall upon is a sight like i've never seen. and i've been in numerous wars. a whole army laying down, shot dead from the looks of it.
"(blood must of blood) whoever did this will bleed for it"
lexa nods finally agreeing with me for once
"lets go down there, we need answers"
clarke says and now i nod my head. i don't need answers though i know exactly who did this. skaikru. i walk over hundreds of bodies that were here to help the sky people
"(have you been listening to the commanders at all lexa)"
i scream at her
"(did they lead you to this massacre)"
she shacks her head
"i thought i was doing the right thing"
"and i kept telling you that you weren't. and you knew it deep down"
"guys i'm sure there's an explanation for this"
"for this whole army that was sent here to help being killed? and from the looks of it being killed while they were sleeping"
"okay you do not know they were sleeping that is a stretched"
"why are you trying to defend your people for this? if this was your people laying here you would be on your way to kill whoever responsible and you know it"
she goes quiet
"(come quick)"
one of our men yell so we take off running
"indra!"
"heda, azgona"
she groans from the pain, clarke drops down moving armor to reveal her wound
"i need bandages!"
clarke yells to my men
"stay away! you're one of them"
indra protests
"(indra let her help)"
indra stares at me and i nod
"indra what happened here?"
lexa questions her
"they attacked while we slept."
i was right. i turn to clarke, she must have felt my eyes burning into her because she turned to me but turned away very quickly.
"our watch was to the north, looking for azgeda. they killed our archers first. our infantry couldn't get close. then they executed the wounded."
wounded who could not fight for themselves.
"(we were never the problem in this war)"
"the summit was two days ago. how could kane do this?"
"this was no act of kane. he is the one sky person i believe wants peace with us"
"azgona is right. it wasn't kane. it was pike"
"how did you escape?"
"bellamy"
bellamy blake. he sure has been brought up a lot lately.
"bellamy was with them?"
"he wanted to spare the wounded, but they wouldn't listen. he convinced pike to let me live so i could deliver a message."
"what message?"
"skaikru rejects the coalition. this is their land now. we can leave or we can die"
lexa leans back and takes a deep breath
"(i will kill every last one of them myself before this land is theirs)"
"(i should have listened to you)"
"(maybe start now)"
she turns to warriors
"send riders. i call upon the armies of the twelve clans. in a days time, we lay waste to arkadia and everyone within its walls."
"(yes, heda)"
"wait"
clarke turns to lexa
"give me time to fix this"
"your time has ran out"
"(stop her)"
lexa says and the warriors obey
"what are you doing?"
"i can't let you leave, clarke"
"so i'm a prisoner now? just like that?"
"yes"
"lexa, let me go to arkadia"
"no"
"at least let me talk to kane. we can bring him here. indra, at the summit, kane told me he gave you a radio. a way to signal him. do it. please."
another radio. just like with the mountain men. indra looks up at lexa and me. we both nod yes. and so she did. now we wait.

octavia was not who i expected to come walking into the tent. but i don't hate it. i can feel her strength i can tell she is going to be a great warrior one day.
"octavia? where's kane?"
"he sent me. indra, thank God."
"how did this happen"
lexa asks
"the question is why did it happen"
"kane lost the election to pike. everything's different"
"your people voted for this"
"and yet you do everything to make life better for them, when they don't deserve it"
i stare at clarke
"no. no i don't believe this."
"how would you know, clarke? you haven't been here"
"listen to me. the grounder army is gonna be here in less than a day."
"so much for a surprise attack"
i get a glare from clarke but she continues talking
"i need to see bellamy"
"i feel like i need to see him he keeps getting brought up so much"
"bellamy was a part of this. he's with pike. what makes you think he'll help us?"
"he saved indra's life. if what octavia's saying is true, then pike trusts him. if i can get to him, he can get to pike."
"there's no getting to him. i killed people he loved. the bellamy you know is gone."
"i don't believe that either"
"you can't just walk through the gates, clarke. you've been living with their enemy. if it were me, i'd kill you on the spot"
"(if that were true we wouldn't be here right now)"
"(don't start)"
"i can get her in"
octavia says causing us all to look at her
"who said she could leave?"
"i have to do this"
"you don't have to do anything. you do what we say you can do"
"aspen. please. if this doesn't work i will keep my mouth shut and you can do whatever you want"
my minds traveling back to the thought about no good plan because of guns. maybe i will let her try this. i have no better option
"fine, go"

time had taken it's sweet time before clarke had made it back
"(i don't know if we can beat their guns. not unless we use them ourselves )"
"(i've been talking about their guns this whole war. but we do not use them. you know that)"
"(it might be our only option)"
lexa was quiet as indra and i was talking to each other
"(heda, she's back)"
clarke walks in alone
"where's octavia?"
indra asks like a worried mom, she never worries about her own child though
"she's watching over camp"
"so, tell us clarke. how does this end? have you come up with a way to save your people, yet again?"
"there is no way"
"no only you two can do that. what happened here was an act of war. your army was here to help us and my people slaughtered them. you have every right to respond. every right to wipe us out."
i can feel a alternative option coming, there's no way she agrees to us killing her people
"or-"
there it is
"enough clarke. you said before you left if it didn't work you would shut your mouth and i could do what i want."
this is it. i pull a small dagger out. im finally going to kill clarke griffin.
"and you know what i want, clarke?"
"you can change the way you do thing aspen, you both can."
"why should they change?"
indra asks
"yes great question. why should we be the ones changing? we tried to help your people and this is how we get repaid. you are the liar, we are not"
"blood must have blood"
indra states and i nod
"really? because from where i stand, the only way that ends is with everyone dead"
"then let them die. when it was 47 of your people dead you were ready to wage war and kill my people. now over 300 of us are laying outside of this tent lifeless because of your people and you want us to do nothing. to change how we live our ways. for people who have done nothing but ruin our lives"
"i was wrong to think that. but this is the best way. what kind of leader do you want to be lexa? the kind who kills every chance she gets because that's your way, or the kind who shows the world a better way?"
"you consider letting a massacre go unavenged, a better way?"
"if it ends this cycle of violence? yes. if it brings about peace? yes"
"you didn't feel this way 2 days ago"
"someone has to take the first step. let it be you"
"your people will not live peaceful with ours. can you not see that?"
"i believe they could."
"then you're a fool"
"lexa you say you want peace. that everything you've done was to achieve that. yet here we stand on the brink of another war. a war you could stop."
"commander, you can't seriously be considering this"
"i'm not considering it. i'm doing it"
"heda please"
"indra"
"lexa."
"no aspen.our people act as if war is easier than peace. if that's so, should we not try and achieve the more difficult goal?"
"polis will not support you"
"they're all my subjects. do you say they will defy me? will you defy me?"
"no, heda. i will not"
they both look at me since i have been quiet. blood must have blood. that is my way. that will be my way
"i do not support you"
"then you will go against the law"
she knows i have no power to actually change the law. i just have power in the people's eyes.
"then let it be known, blood must not have blood."
"(congratulations, you just killed yourself lexa)"