Chapter Five

Ambrose came back later that evening to find the room thankfully empty. His gaze went to Kai's impeccably made bed. Not a hair out of place. But he wasn't good enough to erase the lingering scent of sex in the air.

He ignored the imagery of Kai and Dyana's body entangled in their frenzy and cursed softly under his breath, "What the fuck are you thinking?" He dropped on his bed, toeing off his slippers haphazardly before burying his face in his palms.

What he needed was a cold shower and he had just done that. After several, torturous frigid long minutes in the bathroom, he calmed down, dried himself and shrugged into a light grey robe and bottoms deciding to leave the sash dangling as he towel dried his hair.

Kai opened the door but didn't enter. He stood by the door laughing with Vincent and some guy he's never met before, then finally said goodbye to them, shutting the door behind him. He watched Ambrose watch him, his dark hair still damp from his shower before blanking his face of any and all emotions.

"You could have had the decency of shutting the door when you weren't ready to come in. This isn't your room anymore." Ambrose said flatly, tossing the damp towel on a rack.

Kai grunted as he toed off his boots and removed his shirt, fingers moved to his trousers.

Ambrose's eyes widened in panic. "What the fuck do you think you're doing!?"

Kai scowled, undoing his chaps, "Going to take a shower. Not that it's any concern of yours."

"So you decided to strip in front of me? Jesus!" he squawked.

Kai bit back a smile, watching Ambrose bury his flushed red face in his palms in a show of modesty and shyness. "What? This isn't something you haven't seen before." His belt dropped with a loud 'clank' to the floor and he grinned as Ambrose flinched at the sound. He held his boots and intentionally dropped them for the desired effect. Ambrose squirmed again.

"Please, just go!"

"Okay, okay. Wouldn't want to hurt your 'maiden' sensibilities." He said with amusement.

Ambrose face flew from his palms, ready to deliver a biting comment but froze at the sight of Kai smiling down at him, rendering him temporarily speechless. It's been so long since he smiled like that to him. So long since Kai teased him.

"What?" Kai asked with an amused frown before remembering himself, realizing that he was smiling. A dark scowl replaced the sunshine of his smile in a matter of seconds.

Ambrose watched Kai storm into the bathroom with a towel, closing it firmly after him. "Nothing." He sighed regretfully, staring vaguely into space. Sighing desolately, he grabbed a pillow, thinking how he was going to sleep without facing Kai anyway.

Finally he opted to face Kai's bed. It was either that or a water-soaked Kai merging from the bathroom. It took quite a while before Kai entered the room.

He heard the quiet 'click' of the door and quickly shut his eyes. He heard the muted footsteps. Heard the towel drop. Heard the rustling of sheets and creaking of the bed, and finally heard Kai's tired sigh as he settled deeply into his bed.

Slowly, Ambrose opened his eyes to peer at him from beneath his lashes, watching the bedside lamp cast soft golden light against Kai's cinnamon skin. He let his gaze drift to the muscled chest rising and falling steadily in breathing. His eyes swept up to the face, watching it from the distance between their beds. He looked so peaceful and child-like with his lashes casting shadows on his cheekbones, and his soft light pink lips slightly parted in a soft snore.

Kai turned to his side, facing him as he slept, and Ambrose continued to watch him, or at least he thought Kai asleep until those dark eyes fluttered open to stare back at him.