THE PRIEST .ᐟ : kenjaku

Začať od začiatku

"Ah? Oh... Just thinking about something, don't worry." Y/N pats it's head one final time before setting it down next to her computer.

"Mrrrp..." The creature lets out a sad noise, visibly deflating as its body slumps down.

Y/N laughs into her palm, grateful that nobody other than her was here to see the behavior they would surely deem odd.

Well, there was an employee in the back, but... Y/N tilts her head over, glancing through the window to see him slumped over a table with his eyes shut. ...he's clearly occupied.

Y/N reaches her palm out, the creature sliding onto it as she raises her hand against her head, allowing the creature to lay on her head.

"That good enough?" Y/N asks, smiling in amusement as she glances at the window, seeing the reflection of the creature burying itself in her hair, nestled comfortably.

"Mrp!" The creature confirms eagerly.

"That's good, then." Y/N nods in approval, turning back towards her computer as she visibly deflates. "I just have to finish this then we can—"

"Hm? I hope I'm not interrupting something."

Y/N nearly jumps out of her skin at the calm voice, turning to see a man dawned in monk clothing giving her a closed-eye smile.

A priest? Y/N wonders, staring at the man blankly for a moment before remembering what he asked seconds earlier.

"A-Ah, of course not, I was just... ranting to myself." Y/N was aware of how flimsy her lie sounded as she mentally winces.

"I see." The man's eyes peer open, amusement mixed with an unreadable emotion glimmering in them.

"I hope you wouldn't mind if I take a seat." The man says.

"Wha— ah, uh, sure? Why not...?" Y/N nods in agreement, pushing her stuff closer on her so the man could sit down across from her.

Y/N was never known for being the brightest person, but even she could recognize it might not be the best idea to let a strange priest sit with her.

Well, too late to take it back, she supposes.

"You seem to have a bright future ahead, I'm proud of you." The man observes, his tone undeniably genuine.

"Eh? Oh, thanks... just doing my best." Y/N ducks her head down in embarrassment, focusing on the screen infront of her.

Is this how they got people to join cults? Y/N vaguely wonders before shaking that thought away.

"Mrrp..." The creature on her head abruptly growls at the man, startling Y/N as she visibly stiffens.

Keeping her eyes trained on her screen, Y/N does her best to ignore the creature for now, not wanting to seem like a crazy person to the man infront of her.

"Oh?" The man glances up. The action making Y/N pause as she wonders for a moment if he could see the creature too when— "Your friend doesn't seem to like me."

"You can seem them too?" Y/N asks as she scoops the creature into her hands, petting it softly as it melts in her hand, comforted by the hushed voice and soft hands.

The man seems to pause as he watches her comfort the creature, surprise and something unreadable in his expression before he smiles.

"You really are unlike them..." The man mumbles, the words only confusing Y/N further.

"Huh? 'Them'?" Y/N asks, attention drawn away from the creature still held securely in her hand.

But the man doesn't grace her with an answer, looking down at the table with a distant expression.

Y/N's head cocks to the side in confusion, looking at the man before looking at the creature in her hand that was seemingly... glaring at him.

"What's wrong? The last time you did this..." Y/N's quiet voice trails off, not wanting to recount what happened as she looks at the creature with growing concern.

The last time it growled at someone was when some creep tried to grope her on the train, the ominous growl accompanied by a threatening presence scaring the man off.

Though this was unlike the time, the man was odd, sure, but he wasn't acting like the other guy did. The monk honestly just seemed ignorant (or uncaring?) of social norms, which she couldn't blame him for since everyone has their quirks.

"You've grown up to be a nice girl, Y/N." The man compliments, drawing Y/N from her thoughts as she looks up to see the man standing once again.

"Ah, um, thank you?" Y/N replies uncertainly, the man smiling at her in fond amusement before turning and walking out.

Only after a few minutes of silence pass do the words he said truly sink into Y/N, body freezing as she stares at where he was walked off to, feeling as if a cold bucket of water had just been poured over her head.

She had never told the man her name.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

VISIONARY©-solarsaint

VISIONARY
©-solarsaint