9.

Mitchel's POV
[1st Person]

"Why architecture?" I looked down at her, watching her beautiful, light blue eyes sparkle in the sun.

"I'm not sure, I guess I've always wanted people to have a home I never had, one where they actually feel welcome, one they actually enjoy entering." I watched her as she spoke of it, her past, she never did anytime anyone mentioned it, she tried to brush it off, telling everyone she's fine now and better than ever, but it's still bothering her; she's still hurting.

She breathed in and looked up at me. "Do you think I have a second chance, Mitchel?" Just now, I realized that there were tears threatening to roll down her cheeks.

"I think everyone deserves a second chance," I say, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't know if I have enough time to make up for all the shit that went wrong in my life," she whispers, and her voice broke, and so did she. She crumbled right into my arms, though she kept standing tall. I felt her breaking into a million pieces.

And I swore in this moment that I'd do anything to protect her from me.

Cassie's POV
[1st Person]

This world always taught me that feeling something is better than nothing, but feeling everything all the time isn't any better.

When I was ten, I walked down the streets and saw a homeless guy sitting there. He was laughing with some people, and he seemed genuinely happy.

I then thought, What did I do wrong? I had a house and I had food. I had so much more than this man sitting there, but I never remember laughing like that, so free of everything.

I walked up to him, sat down next to him, and asked, "Teach me to be happy, like you."

I remember him turning his head to look at me, and he said, "Nobody is coming to save you, kid. Get up."

It's now exactly 4:36 in the morning, and I'm breaking into silent pieces, like you're watching a slow motion video of a glass getting shattered onto the ground on mute.
Mitchel is sleeping next to me, and I should be able to hear him breathe.

But my mind is running and running and running and so loud.

so

so

so

loud