Chapter 02

Magnold

"Oh eto nanaman ako sa kaka-English ko, pasensya na ha, old habbits die hard."
I felt embarrassed.

"No no, not at all--"Wait! Did you just called me "friend" ?

"Well-not that I hate it or anything." It's just that coming from a stranger like you."

"Not to mention a kid that is, hehe." He chuckled.

"Sinasabi neto, I didn't say anything-"

"Well I'm honored to be your friend."

"Infact! more than anything I'm proud to be your friend.
To think that I'm actually talking to a little girl. Is nakaka-mangha na nga kung titignan."

"What more pa kaya, para ka lang nakikipag-sabayan sa talino ng mga matatanda, bihasa ka nang magsalita sa wikang Ingles.
Even your wide range of vocabulary is admirable.
To think.. that a little girl with the age of-"

"How old are you by the way?
If you don't mind my asking."

"Uhhm... I'm eight?"I hesitantly said.

"That young?! That's so remarkable you must be top of your class."

"Oh please! Don't flatter me so much, if you only knew that I don't have experience in real competition at all."

"What do you mean?He asked.

"Actually, I'm home-schooled you see. And it's been that way ever since. I've beeen alone for as long as I can remember. I don't have any siblings or any schoolmates to compete with."

"You must've been very lonely." Napatingin siya sa'kin ng may pagka-awa. Na ikinakunot naman ng aking noo.

"What do you mean lonely?"

"I felt ecstatic!!" I said at iniwasiwas yung dalawa kong kamay sa ere.

"Really? Your expression tells me otherwise." He said and gave me a look that made me nervous.

His piercing gaze made me swallow a saliva and at this rate beads of sweat was already forming into my forehead.
It's as if he was looking into my soul, analyzing any lies that will come out of my mouth.

"Well it wasn't lonely most of the time." I did have something that kept me busy."

"Such as?"

"Well I read a great deal of books in our local library to kill time--"

"That sounds boring." Napahikab niyang sabi.

"You might have got me wrong, you might think that my mom is like one of those obsessive control freak mothers like in fairytales, seemingly heartless and all. Always keeping me hidden all these years, But she's a good mother. She never failed to give me a life of leisure. She's always there to provide for my needs.
She even allows me to play outside and meet with my cousins after our classes, not that I attend one or something. Just the usual home classes teached by my Tito William who is the kuya of my mom-where he's the only teacher and im the only student."

"Well sometimes, if mom's not looking, I always reach for my Gameboy in her upper shelf drawer-but hey,its worth the reach. (And If I stretch even harder,I might grow an inch or1 two) . But if I get bored with it, I sneak into the back door of our house to take a quick sketch in our garden."

"It's such a petty we only get to visit during Birthdays, Christmas or summer holidays."

"What's that?

Well, during Holidays, me and my mom always visits my Lolo here in manila. But I like to call him Papa Gino.Well-you see, his house has a spare room attic and it's always been my source of enjoyment to sneak into that spareroom every once in a while. Always looking for something interesting to play with. Though some of it are mostly old and rusty and some of the things are filled with dust because they're mostly antique.