31. The Third Alpha

Andrea stared disbelievingly at the man before her. "You are Therron, the third alpha."

Therron snorted. "You can call me third if you wish, but I am the first and foremost in both age and power." He eyed Andrea for a moment, studying her expression. "You are confused, child. But of course, you are. Even Dagen, had no idea of my identity. You can ask why I kept it from him all these years, but even I could not tell you. Perhaps I was afraid of the questions to follow. Who was she? What was she like? What if she hadn't died? I didn't want to speak about those things. They pained me in more than words could say. I was conflicted enough. Did I love Dagen for being Kiara's son? Or did I hate him being Morten's? Did I blame him for causing her death and being half human? Was I proud of him or was I disappointed? His temper reminded me too much of myself. But his eyes...his eyes were like Kiara's. And they hurt me." Here, Therron paused to take a long breath. "You see, little Andrea. I am not only the hunter who raised Dagen, nor just his alpha. Dagen is the only child of my daughter, Kiara. I am his grandfather, though probably not the one he needed."

Andrea couldn't help but gape at him. "Grandfather?" she whispered. "You are his alpha, mentor and grandfather, and yet he only knew one of those? How could you never tell him? Is all that really true?"

For a moment, Therron was silent again. "Pricilla gave birth to two daughters," he murmured. "I married one and Ulric married the other. How strange it is now to see that three lifelong enemies were all bound by marriage though none knew? I lost my son before he was barely even a man, and I chased my remaining child away. So, though I had hated Dagen for what he was, I could not bear to lose him. But how could I let the kid know that? He had gone through so much already. To tell him I kept him only because he was all I had left of my beloved daughter, would have been a cruel thing. Do you understand now, little one?"

Andrea turned away, gazing over to where Dagen leaned against a tree, his eyes closed in a restless sleep. She looked back at the hunter. "He has to know, Therron."

Therron sighed, rising to his feet. "And he will, come the time. But until then, let it be at that." He put a hand on Andrea's shoulder. "Go rest, Andrea. Tomorrow will not be kind and we must have the strength in us to withstand it." He turned and strode away. 

Andrea stared after him, before turning away with a weary sigh. She smacked straight into a tall figure. Shaking her head to clear her dazed vision, Andrea saw it was none other than the frightened king of Erlenia. Hissing with annoyance, Andrea grabbed his arm and lead him away from the camp and into a thicket of trees.

"Where have you been?" she demanded. "The wolves were out there fighting for your kingdom. We needed you, Dade."

Dade lowered his head in what was either an apology or shame. "I was thinking and-"

"We don't have time for that. We needed you to convince the soldiers."

"I know," answered Dade earnestly, meeting her betrayed eyes. "But-"

"How can we expect you to lead the soldiers when you always run away?" Andrea snapped at him, her fear and frustration bubbling over.

Dade shook his head, his lips trembling. "I am sorry, Andrea. I know I am a coward. And I am also sorry for only telling you this now. I should have said it earlier but I didn't believe it. It was just a legend to me, a myth. But now I fear, that maybe there is a truth to it after all."

Andrea stared up at him, feeling too weak and dazed to even try and comprehend his words. "What are you talking about?" she murmured wearily.

Dade looked passed her, staring into the distance as if re-seeing something from the past.