17. A Discovery

The twins were both awake, when Andrea finally roused herself. Felan was stretched out by her side, Andrea's fingers still entwined deep into his fur. Dagen however was nowhere to be seen. As Andrea pushed herself to her feet, Ronan looked up, grinning widely.

"You're finally up, I see," he greeted, tossing her a warm roll of bread. 

Andrea nodded her thanks and came over to sit beside him. She felt intimidated by his size and normally avoided close contact. But after the latest events, Andrea couldn't care less about what happened around her. She even bid the surly Rodarn good morning much to his astonishment. 

Whether he was in especially good spirits that morning or because he thought she deserved a prize for acknowledging his older twin, Ronan decided to give her part of his roasted rabbit as well as to invite her into the conversation.

"My brother and I were speaking of last night, little'un. Did it occur to you, you are extremely lucky to be alive? That hunter is a strange one and not one to be messed with."

Andrea frowned. "He was upset, that's all. I bet you would be too, if you had been caught."

Ronan laughed. "That's the difference between us. I would not have been caught. He may have more fighting skills than I, but I would not have run down a dark alley and smashed into a wall."

"Ronan," Rodarn warned in a low voice.

Andrea glanced from one twin to the other. "He what!?"

"Ran into a wall," repeated Ronan, looking immensely pleased with her reaction. "Didn't you see that horrendous lump on his head? You see, little one, while Rodarn and Dagen followed you, I went to make sure the white pup got away from the soldiers alright. Felan, as you call him, may be small but he's quick on his feet. Seeing I wasn't needed, I went back to join the others. But on my way back, I was just in time to see the soldiers chase Dagen into an alley and I saw him crash into the dead end. Seeing he was caught, I decided not to put myself at risk and went back to report to Rodie." Here Rodarn shot him an ugly look. Ronan ignored it and continued. "See, little one you may see it is disloyal or something, but we have a motto. Get yourself in, get yourself out. Besides, Dagen is a loner. No one owes him any loyalties, least of all us who belong to another pack."

Andrea felt disgusted at the way he casually shrugged it off. 

Ronan noticed her glare. Leaning over, he thumped her on the back in a companionable manner.

"Hey, don't look like that. He was alright, wasn't he? A little experience never killed anyone. Besides, he'll get over it in a couple of days. He's probably just in shock from being in a cell  that's-" 

He broke off with a pained grunt as Rodarn elbowed him sharply in the ribs. 

Andrea eyed them suspiciously.

"A cell?" she asked. "Why a cell?"

Ronan glanced at his twin, who shook his head, then looked back at Andrea. As if coming to the decision that Andrea's reaction was worth whatever his brother might do, he shrugged and replied in a secretive voice. 

"We are pretty sure the hunter is claustrophobic. It would explain why he lives out in the open, despite all the caves nearby."

Andrea's jaw dropped. It wasn't true. It couldn't be true. Dagen had a fear like that? Her disbelief must have shown because Ronan gave an amused smile. 

"What? You don't believe it. Everyone has a fear, little one. I, for example, have a thing for heights and graveyards. Rodarn confessed he shoved me off a high ditch once and I don't think I have to explain the other. They're just down right creepy."