zane gets up, walking over to the instruments set just opposite the seating area. people are allowed to sit here and enjoy a meal pr sit and watch one of their friends or family play with one of the instruments. zane picks up a guitar, tuning it to the right tone.

"i play the guitar then you can sing?" he tilts his head to the side with a smile. "i don't know. i've never sung for people who aren't family." his mouth hangs open as if he's offended. "so i'm not family?"

"what?! i only knew at the baby shower that you were a family friend of jade's. which also doesn't make you my family friend so in conclusion, no, you're not family."

he chuckles, nodding his eyes. "aight. do you mind trying? for me?" i shrug, giving up the fight as i move closer towards him so i can hear the guitar better and be able to form some lyrics.

his hands start moving on the guitar creating a melody. "wow, that's a good one." i bop my head, moving my body to the tune as i start forming some lyrics. the words that come to my head are about me and sharky, there's nothing else that could come to mind.

karter, pablo and tía kasy walk in as they watch me and zane create a song. they cheer on us, taking videos and enjoying the moment. once the song has finished, i feel a bit shy knowing i have sung for some people who are not part of my family except tía kasy.

"wow, mi sobrina [my niece], that was wonderful." tìa kasy approaches me, pulling me into a hug. "thank you. haven't done that in a while." it is true, i haven't sung or played the piano in a year, my clothing line has just been my priority since then.

"you are a good guitarist." karter approaches zane. i know karter has a thing for tall dark handsome guys, it's the way he approaches him with a sexy hip sway that give it away. "thank you." zane simply says before placing the guitar down.

"i remember the days me and your mother used to sing in front of the familia, great tío and tía's." tía kasy offers me some cranberry juice and a slice of cake. "it was your uncle's birthday yesterday." i knew it was tío's birthday, i just wasn't in the mood after the whole phone call.

"oh, tell him i say 'happy belated'. i'll get his present sent to him." tía kasy hugs me when zane approaches us. once tía kasy has returned to her office, i turn to look up at zane who is already looking down at me.

"what's that?" he points at the juice box in my hand. "it's cranberry juice, my favourite." i pop the top with a straw, taking a sip. zane takes my hand abruptly before leaving the music shop.

"where are we going?" i ask trying to walk to his pace. "somewhere special." i let him take me wherever, he shows me some places i have never been to before until we get to an abandoned place. "what are we doing here, zane, this is trespassing." he holds his hand out as i hesitate for a bit.

"before my sister passed, we used to always come here and spend some together." he helps me up a ladder which leads to the top of the roof. "she was a pianist just like you and she loved art so i would bring her here to let her art self out, you know."

"that's nice. you a good brother." he smiles until he leads me up to a painted part of a wall. "wow, it looks beautiful." i admire the use of contrasting and the contemporary design that has come out. "maybe you can add some of your sketches." i look at him in shock.

"no, i -, i wouldn't want to ruin your sister's design." zane walks over some cans and spray cans, picking one up before tossing it over at me which i grab without any effort.

"one thing mila wanted was for her art to be filled and so i am fullfilling her wish." he grabs a chair, placing it on the right position.

"okay, maybe i can do a thing or two." he smiles, helping me up a chair as i start painting. 

17:06

"that was fun, thanks." zane walks me over to the porch of my house. we had a great time painting and drawing. it also ended up being a paint fight which he helped me with some of his sweats before walking me home.

i realized that he doesn't live far from my house, it's probably like a 10min walk. i open my door before turning around to face zane. "thank you for the day, zane. i appreciate it." he pulls me into a hug.

"anything for the lovely lady. maybe we can do it again sometime." i pull away, nervously playing with my hands. "maybe." he bids me goodbye as i enter the house to see my mom looking at me with an angry expression.

"mama?" i place the bag zane gave me to place my clothes in down as i walk towards the fridge to grab me something to drink. "indigo, are you cheating?" i spit the water from my mouth.

"what?! no! él es sólo un amigo [he's just a friend]." i walk back to the bag, grabbing it when my mom stops me. "you are wearing his clothes, you smell like him, so you are."

"i promise mama, i would never hurt sharky like that. and zane knows that i have boundaries." we both walk up the stairs before stopping in the hallway.

"that boy likes you and i can see it." i hand my hands on both of her shoulders. "i don't and he knows so don't worry." i peck her cheeks before opening my door.

"Buenas noches, mama [goodnight, mom]." i blow her a kiss before closing my door, leaning against it with a sigh. "what a day."

_________________

1582 words