May

Eddie

May 12th, Monday May 12th came. I turned in a shit load of work today for as many classes as I could, I had late work and begged Mrs. O'DONNELL for any extra credit. It's kind of indescribable how something can change your priorities so much.

Annie's appointment was at 3:30. I drove, I wouldn't say I was nervous? Maybe I was excited? Maybe anxious is the right word... but not in a bad way. We got to the office and waited to be called back. I held Annie's hand then they called her back. The nurse did all the regular height and weight stuff then we waited for the doctor. God why is there so much waiting.

Finally the Doctor comes in. She smiles introduces herself as Dr. Randall. She seems friendly but Annie stays pretty quite. The Doctor washes her hands hold a hand out to shake mine.

"Are you dad?" she asked me with a smile.

"Yeah, Eddie. Nice to meet you." Shit here I am "dad"

"Ok Andromeda, so your date of birth is March 30th 1968. Do you know the first day of your last period?" she asked.

"Umm, you know I had it written down, but I forgot to look. I am about 90% sure of the date of conception though. March 30th 1986." Annie said.

"Oh well, Okay! Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one." The Doctor said. I sat there hoping that she meant the whole day was good... not just the sex.

"Yeah, it was a really good birthday." Annie Smiled at me.

"So, Andromeda, how are things going so far? Any questions or anything you want to share?"

"You can call me Annie if you want to." She told the Doctor then let out a sigh "There is something, I guess. I had a miscarriage last year..." Annie.

"Oh, Annie I'm so sorry to hear that." The Doctor said taking a note on Annie's chart.

"Thank you, I was... in a bad relationship... he was abusive. Things are better now." Annie said.

"Okay, I'm glad. Thank you for sharing." Dr. Randall walked across the room and wheeled over a little machine. "Lay back for me Annie and lift up your shirt just a little bit for me, Perfect. This might be a little cold." She squeezed out some goop onto Annie's belly and turned on her machine moving it around. All of a sudden we hear rapid, rapid thumping.

"there's the little one!" the Doctor said.

"What?" I stood up and held Annie's hand.

"Yeah! That's your baby's heartbeat."

"Wow. That's. Wow." My eyes got really big. This was really real.

Later that night Annie called me.

"Hey babe." I said.

"hey. I wanted to say thanks again for taking me today." Annie said.

"of course. It was really crazy to hear the baby today. Like there's really a baby in there. I'm really glad I went." I said.

"yeah." I could hear her smiling through the phone. "Sooooooo Is there anything you've been wanting to ask me?"

"that seems kind of like a trick question babe... what do you want me to ask you?" I asked.

"Oh my god to prom dummy!" she said.

"Oh fuck. I uh haven't really thought about prom at all. There's been so much other stuff going on. So you really wanna go?" I asked.

"well yeah I wanna go. Only If you want want to though." She said.

"I mean I hadn't planned on it. I really need to spend money on other stuff. I need to get a bench seat for the van so we can bring the baby home. I don't know babe... we've got a baby coming you know?" I said.