Lonely Goodbyes

For a moment It didn't feel real. There was no way I had gotten picked out of the other thousands of papers laying in the bowl untouched. Dimitri had pulled mine. A couple of the girls looked at me. Some laughed when I didn't move. I felt frozen in fear. I was dreaming and I would wake up any second on the couch across from my father. 

That never came though and I felt a shove from behind me. A seventeen year old girl who I recognized from the market. She sold fish scales along with her father at a small booth. I snapped my head towards her and she gave me a nod. I began to step forward focusing on getting my feet to move. 

My shoes crunched under the gravel making it the only noise that could be heard in the district. My heart felt like it was gonna pop out of my chest. Knowing the peacekeepers and the capital they would have just sewed my heart right back in and thrown me into the games no matter what. 

I began to walk to the stage and Peacekeepers followed around me marching me up to the front. I felt my jaw shake and my entire body was shaking. "Baby hurry up I have a dress fitting on the train I can't be late for!" Dimitri said and I only looked at him. I walked up the steps and Dimitri grabbed me and walked me towards the center right next to Angus. 

Angus didn't even look at me. He just smiled at the cameras and the crowd. There was no way I was gonna win it over him. There was no way I could win over a god damn twelve year old. I had zero training I hadn't ever used any sort of weapon besides maybe a knife to skin the fish I had caught. 

"Well everyone please give a big round of applause for our two tributes this year Angus and Mable!" Dimitri said and a soft and apprehensive round of applause sounded through the area. Peacekeepers then marched onto the stage and took us back into the building behind us. 

I was quickly put into a room. "Your friends and family will come and say their goodbyes to you here" a peacekeeper with red short hair and freckles on his skin told me and I nodded my head. 

Seconds turned into minutes and I sat in the cold quiet room. No one was coming to say goodbye to me. I had accepted that my father was still asleep at home not even knowing the situation however even if he did he still would not show up because then it meant that he only had to take care of himself now. 

I walked around the room. There was a big couch in the middle. It was a dark blue color. A large bass fish was mounted on the wall. A large firepit sat on the opposite side of the room and a couple of large bookshelves sat near the walls filled with books about the history of district four and Panem as a whole. 

I flipped through one of the books and stopped when I heard the door knob turn. I turned my head to see who it was and I was somewhat surprised to see Finnick Odair in the door way. His face was soft when he looked at me and I realized then that I was crying. I quickly wiped away my tears. 

It was his fault I was here I shouldn't have even been reaped from that bowl nor should I be breathing right now. I glared at him as he stood there. I could see his cheek was very bruised and I tightened my fist wanting to smack him again. 

"No one came to say goodbye?" He asked shutting the door behind him. 

I looked at him annoyed. "No one cares about me" I said and then shut the book I had been reading. "I'm sure someone does" Finnick said and I rolled my eyes. 

"I shouldn't have been reaped, I shouldn't have even woken up this morning thanks to you" I said raising my voice. "Oh God, forgive me for saving your life" Finnick threw his hands up like he was surrendering. His tone was getting defensive.

 "I didn't wanna be saved I wanted to stay out there and never be found" I said my voice rising even more. "Well too bad I saved you" Finnick then took a step towards me. "Wow wait till the capital hears how sweet you are saving a poor lonely girl from drowning" I say rolling my eyes. 

Finnick scoffs and then walks over towards me. "You have no idea what it's like in the capital" Finnick says quietly. I laughed loudly and it takes everything in me not to punch him again. "You poor thing, the youngest winner of the hunger games and beloved by all the capital who gives him everything he wants how hard you must live!" Finnick's fury is now evident on his face.

"I hope you realize that I can help you win but now I don't really know if I wanna waste my time on some sick skinny girl who's gonna die within the first ten minutes of the games." Finnick turns and walks towards the door and I take the book I'm holding and throw it towards the back of his head. It hits directly and he immediately turns around.

"Goodluck" is all Finnick says and then turns back around and walks towards the big wooden door letting it slam shut behind him. I feel myself begin to shake. I walk towards one of the windows in the room. I see the large ocean and try to enjoy the last couple minutes that I would be seeing it. 

Hope everyone enjoyed this chapter! Thank you so much for reading! How do we feel about the trope and enemies to lovers and how do you feel about Mable? Let me know!