007. fairies

They're in town and questioning people, everybody saying stuff about aliens.

"Of course it's not UFOs." The lady they're talking to states. "It's fairies."

"Fairies?" Dean and Natalie echo, the woman nodding.

"Okay. Well, thank you for your input." Dean says.

"What? Flying saucers not insane enough for you?" Sam asks.

"Dude." Larissa whispers.

"Sam." Natalie hisses.

"What newspaper did you say you worked for?" The woman, Marion, asks.

"Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it." Sam says.

"Okay, we're-we're done." Dean says.

"The only thing you're missing is a couple dozen cats, sister." Sam says.

"Okay." Jacob grabs the back of Sam's jacket with his free hand and yanks him away.

"It's a blood sugar thing. Our apologies." Dean tells the woman, dragging Sam away.

"What?" Sam asks.

"What? You gotta ask?" Dean asks before realizing. "Right, yes, you do have to ask."

"Look, I'm sorry, but this is all a big joke, right? And we're not actually taking this UFO shit seriously?" Sam asks.

"No, man. E.T. is made of rubber. Everybody knows that. But there are four legitimate vanishings in this town. Something's going on. And Sam? By the way, it's not the lady's fault that she took the brown acid."

"Yeah, so?" Sam asks.

"Empathy, man. Empathy. I mean, the old Sam would have given her some-some wussified, dew-eyed shit." Dean says.

"Old Sam had a soul-- was a soul. Whatever." Sam says.

"Right! Yes, and-- and, but you don't-- aren't. Whatever." Dean says.

"Right." Sam says.

"Right." Dean echoes. "You don't care."

"Well--"

"You have to care!"

"About what, exactly?"

"About everything, man! About being human at least."

"Look, Dean. You obviously care. A lot. And that's great. But I can't care about what... I can't care about it, you know? What do you want me to do, fake it?"

"Yes. Absolutely. Fake it. Fake it till you make it."

"What happened to you wanting me to be all honest?"

"Okay, well, get some stellar acting skills, okay?" Natalie says.

"Hey, you wanna be a real boy, Pinocchio, you gotta act the part." Dean says.

"I was faking it, Dean! Ever since we got back on the road together, I was picking every fucking word. It's exhausting." Sam says.

"You didn't try super hard with me or the twins." Ophelia comments.

"You're kids. You're stupid." Sam shrugs, getting three offended looks from said children.

"Hey!" Natalie shouts.

"Excuse you?" Larissa glares at him.

Jacob smacks Sam over the head.

Libby harshly kicks Sam in the shin. Evie bites Sam's wrist.