01 | To Cry, or Not To Cry

Start from the beginning

"Man, First Lady be throwing down. Especially them greens! Shit yea I'm coming." Jaxon shrugged without hesitation, already hungry just from thinking about it even though he had lunch an hour ago.

"Don't make no fuckin' sense." He shook his head again with a smile that spread further when he caught a glimpse of the picture of him and Autumn when they were teenagers that hung inside his locker.

He stayed at the precinct for a little while longer to talk with his friends before deciding it was time to get home.

It was getting close to four and his son would kill him if he didn't make it to his soccer game. It was the last one of the 'season'-even though a season for a child in Pre-K meant that it was only four games total, and there wasn't even an opposing team. They played against themselves.

The thought of that made him laugh because his son still took the sport so seriously.

"Baby, is that you?" A familiar voice called through the house as Dayvon walked in.

"You ask that dumb shit every day. Who else would it be?" He said with a smile, watching his fiancé roll her eyes as he approached her near the kitchen island.

"Shut up. How was work?" Jasmine wrapped her arms around his neck for a hug while his slid around her waist.

"It was aight. I ran this morning and taught some sniper drills. I wasn't on field duty today." He left a kiss on her cheek before letting her go to check the fridge for last night's leftovers. He didn't think he could wait until tonight to eat.

"You left early too. We was looking for you at breakfast." She turned around so that she still faced him, watching him rummage through the refrigerator.

"Did August finally eat today?" He asked.

"Just a little bit of yogurt. I made a whole meal for him and tried to help him eat it-he just wasn't going for it." She shook her head with a small, worried sigh.

"His doctor called me this morning and said all his tests came back good. He said sometimes kids just have a weird appetite, and to go back up there if I'm still concerned but I-," Dayvon was cut off by his phone ringing.

"Ms. Linda?" Jasmine spoke with confusion, both of them looking at August's teacher's contact flash on the screen.

"Hello?" Dayvon answered, confused as well. School didn't end for another half hour.

"Hi, Mr. Banks? It's Mrs.Linda."

"Yeah, everything good?"

"Actually, I was calling because I wanted to know if someone could come get August early today. He's been getting into a bit of trouble all week-and we've been able to correct his behavior without calling you, but today he physically fought another student and busted the student's lip." She said over the speakerphone, and Jasmine's jaw dropped in shock.

"Shit, man. Oh shit, sorry-my fault. I'm on my way up there now." Dayvon attempted to catch himself from cursing, but failed miserably.

"He busted their lip?!" Jasmine repeated with concern when the called ended.

"Man this his fourth fight. This lil' boy three, G. How much beef he got?" He shook his head, grabbing his set of car keys off of the counter.

"Dayvon that's not funny. He keep getting in trouble 'cause you don't never discipline him." She frowned.

"I'm not 'bouta whoop my lil' boy. I keep telling you that. Stop bringing it up." Now frustrated with her, he ended that conversation by walking out of the house and he locked the door behind him to give her the hint that he didn't need her to follow.