Betrayal

➺Clary P.O.V

 Maia lent me her jacket to cover the food stains.

 I was extremely late for my next class. I didn't care. I probably looked like a wreck, too, with the blotchy tear stains. My resolution that morning was long forgotten. I didn't pay attention in class. All the sounds and empty faces blurred together into oblivion. The only thing I cared about was avoiding Jace, Izzy and Alec.

 It was a relief when school ended. But my happiness was short-lived. I had to work my shift at the café. The café was near my school, and the place would be abuzz with students relaxing after a tiring day. I desperately wished Izzy, Alec and Jace wouldn't come, but with the way my luck was today, the chances were low.

 All I could do was hope. Hope that they'd leave soon. That Alec wouldn't tell. That I could live my life in peace again.

●●●

➺Jace P.O.V

 Alicante High. My temporary new school. My adoptive parents were business officials. They were rich. like, really really rich. They needed to visit New York for their work, so when they heard about the student exchange program, they immediately enrolled us. Max was here too, with Maryse and Robert.

 I was currently waiting with Alec on the benches outside the large school, waiting for Izzy to fix up her outfit after the redhead knocked into her, ruining her designer clothes. If there's one thing about Izzy, her clothes are her life. And ruining them got redhead in Izzy's bad books. Alec was being extremely quiet, lost in thought. But, knowing the stoic, calm Alec, this wasn't exactly unusual. Izzy's policy of being 'Fashionably late' was getting on my nerves. The sun was sweltering, now that it was August here in New York, and I was in desperate need of air condition.

 After eternity, Izzy finally came out of the bathroom in a pale pink sundress. Her hair was knotted in a twisted up do.  The three of us headed to a small café off to the side of the school, escaping the merciless  sun.

 The café was small, and cozy, with coffe-coloured walls and beige armchairs and tables. We go up to order something cool. I've got my eyes set on an iced latte, when I realize the barista's the redhead from the morning. The one that I found familiar, and the one that knocked into Izzy. She's pretty, and I don't know if I'm imagining it, but there's this force dragging me towards her. I can't shake off this feeling of familiarity. But that's stupid. She couldn't be her. I would know if it was her.

 Izzy recognized the redhead too. She grabbed a cappuccino from the counter top, and, without a moment's hesitation, spilt it on the girl. 

 The redhead shrieked, her glaring emerald eyes meeting Izzy's. 

 Emerald eyes. Freckles. Could it be?

 No. Clary would have talked to me. that was just some random girl who looked slightly like my long gone friend.

 "That's what you get for ruining my clothes!" Izzy yelled, towering over the redhead's tiny figure. All eyes were on us, fixated on the heated scene with Izzy and the familiar redhead.  Her face was contorted, in pain, embarrassment, and what looked like... betrayal?

 Before I knew what had happened, Alec had dragged us both out.

 "What the hell, Izzy! Do you not recognize her!?" Alec yelled. Angrily. Alec never gets angry, and when he does, it's always something important.

 Izzy tried to look casual, but I could tell she was fazed from Alec's outburst. "Obviously I do. She ruined my clothes, for angels sake!"

 "Isabelle! That's Clary! That's your best friend!" Alec cried. A few strangers turned to look. In other cases, I would be embarrassed. But now, the only coherent thought I could make out was, "Clary"