love | 13th doctor

the doctor could do nothing but stare in horror as she thought back to the events of the day

the doctor could do nothing but stare in horror as she thought back to the events of the day. the spiders, the hotel, and that stupid man killing that poor creature with a gun.

"doctor?" (y/n)'s timid voice startled the doctor out of all her thoughts. "are you alright?"

the doctor spun around.

"(y/n)! you scared me." she cracked a small smile at the younger girl. "why are you awake?"

"i-i was just worried about you." (y/n) blushed. the doctor felt her hearts swell and tried to settle them.

it didn't matter how many forms she had known the pretty (h/c) girl who travelled with her, (y/n) still gave the time lord butterflies.

"you don't need to worry about me love." (y/n)'s face went as red as a tomato.

"you always say that but doctor, you seemed really upset today." (y/n) walked closer to the time lord and cautiously placed an arm around her. "it was that bloke, wasn't it? when he-when he killed that spider?"

the doctor let her shoulders drop.

"yeah." she sniffled slightly, and (y/n)'s heart shattered into bits. "i don't know why it got to me so much more than usual."

"because you're the doctor. you're a healer, you were never meant to watch things die."

"i watched my whole planet die. i burned my whole planet. well, i thought i did, for hundreds of years." the doctor sighed. "i deserve every bit of sadness this brings me. i couldn't save her."

(y/n) grabbed the doctors coat and jerked her a little bit so that she was facing the (y/e/c) woman.

"don't you dare say that. don't you even dare think it." her voice was blunt and louder than usual. it started the doctor. "you do not deserve any of this. if anything you more than anyone deserve to be happy and at peace. you've saved so many lives, so many people and aliens and creatures. whole worlds that are alive because of you! so don't you dare tell me that you deserve to feel this way."

"but what about all the lives i couldn't save?"

"you can't save everyone doctor. you're a time lord, you're not a god." (y/n) lowered her voice. "you thought you burned your planet, but you know now that you saved gallifrey doctor. because you're a doctor. a healer. you're my doctor."

the doctor smiled. it was faint, but it was there.

"how do you always know exactly what to say?" the doctors voice was still weak, and (y/n) pulled the time lord in for a hug. the doctor stiffened before relaxing into her companions arms.

"because i know you. you're my doctor." (y/n) whispered back. she took a chance at the vulnerability of the woman she had come to love and began rubbing a light hand up and down the doctors spine. "i hate how you beat yourself up over things you can't control."

"i can't help it. i'm the doctor. i'm a time lord. it's my job to help people."

"will you help me then?" (y/n) pulled away and met the doctors eyes, which were utterly full of concern and adoration.

"yes of course. whatever you need."

"try to take care of yourself." the doctor blinked. "doctor, it makes me physically hurt to see you this way. i know, you can't just get rid of all your pain, but for tonight, just one night, let me help you forget it."

(y/n) was breathing heavy. the doctor stared at her with an emotion she couldn't discern.

"okay." the doctors voice was small.

"okay?" (y/n) prompted.

"okay. just for one night." the doctor broke out into a smile and (y/n) gasped. she couldn't help but let out a small squeal, which made the doctor chuckle.

"i can't believe you agreed! ok, well, go get some really comfy pajamas on right now, i'm going to the kitchen to get some popcorn and other snacks, then meet me in my room. i've got so much stuff planned." (y/n)'s eyes lit up as she spoke and the doctor couldn't help the faint blush that dusted her cheeks as her companion rambled. she reached out and pulled (y/n) in for a hug.

"what's this for?" (y/n) asked softly. the doctor just shrugged and placed a small kiss on her forehead.

"thank you." there was something in the doctors eyes as she spoke. (y/n) had seen it before, a few times actually, but she couldn't quite pinpoint it.

the doctor could. she knew exactly what (y/n) was seeing in her eyes every time the beautiful girl spoke, or looked at her, or scrunched her nose up when she got excited.

love.