Chapter 6: Circles

Start from the beginning

I crossed my arms as I leaned in towards him, a newfound confidence overtaking my body, "Well I don't know," I spoke in barely above a whisper, as I looked up at him with a tired stare, "Maybe, I find it attractive?"

Karl blinked for a moment, the implication of my words startling him. But he could play my game, he always could, "Oh yeah?" He spoke in a hushed whisper, as his eyebrows rose in amusement, "And what is it exactly, that you find so attractive about role-playing?"

A sly smile enhanced my features as my next words came pouring out before I could stop them, "Well ya know, I like to have a partner that can keep up with my acting skills" I finished my sentence with a chuckle, not being able to keep a straight face at the implication.

I ran a hand over my smiling features, a giggle still making its way through my throat. But, when I glanced back to look at Karl, he was watching me silently with a confused smile.

"What?" I asked, my fit of giggles finally starting to calm themselves.

He shook his head at my question, staring down at the lessening space between us, "Nothing... nothing"

Something about his tone made me ask, "No really, what is it?"

He glanced back up at me as he began to play with the bracelets sat on his right wrist. He shrugged slightly, before reverting his eyes towards the sheets and confessing, "I know you were kidding, but it was kind of nice to have someone interested in my streaming I guess..."

I felt my features scrunch in confusion, "What do you mean? Literally, millions of people are interested in your streams..?"

He shook his head, "It's not the same. My fans are amazing, don't get me wrong. But, it's not organic, it's a power imbalance and it's unnatural. But you," His gaze flicked up to meet my eyes, "Talking to you is easy"

His words surprised me. I wasn't sure how to respond to his confession as I felt a nervousness overcome me. I quickly looked towards the sheets. I couldn't look him in the eyes and say, "I, um, I really like talking to you too"

Did I really just admit that?

Silence engulfed us as my words hung in the air. I desperately wanted him to say something. Anything.

Seconds more passed by, before I finally built the courage to meet his awaiting stare. However, it was a look of pure confusion that greeted me when I met his eyes.

"Why did I spend so long hating you?"

I could no longer control the butterflies that ran rampant in the pit in my stomach.

"Might have something to do with me punching you in the face" I said, a dry humor lacing my tone.

He chuckled lightly, "Yeah well, to be fair, I did kind of fall on top of you..."

I nodded my head, "Yes, that you did" I looked down at the palm of my hand as I lightly traced the scar that ran from my middle finger to the start of my wrist. The memory of that day and my dream engulfed me.

However, my focus was abruptly interrupted by Karl harshly grabbing my hand and pulling it closer to his body, examining my scar.

"W-w.." He stuttered, "Is this... is this from me?" His eyes met mine frantically, a look of sorrow and panic quickly enveloping his face.

I tried to pull my hand away gently, but he held tightly to my arm, refusing to let me pull it away. "Well yes, it's from that day. But, it's not your fault. It was an accident and I get that now... I'm sorry that I didn't before"

Karl looked at me with heartbroken eyes, "Hailey, I am so so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I never meant for any of this to happen, I swear" Karl was gripping my hand tighter now, willing me to believe his words.

My eyes softened as he began to rub small, intoxicating circles in my palm, soothing away any lingering pain, "I-It's okay" His words startled me, his truth ringing through my bones, "I forgive you"

For a moment, we sat in charged silence, neither of us knowing what to say. Karl broke our eye contact and returned his pitiful stare to my scarred palm, before ever so gently, he adjusted his grip on my hand and slowly moved it towards his lips.

I felt the roughness of his lips and the day-old stubble from his cheeks brush the palm of my hand, as he gently placed a kiss in the middle of my scar.

I swallowed harshly, trying to ignore the growing need I felt.

His earlier words crashed through my body, "Why did I spend so long hating you?"

Why did I spend so long hating Karl Jacobs? Sure he was a prick and a pain in my ass, but he made a mistake, same as me. I would have forgiven the action easily if it was anyone else, but for some reason, he enveloped my mind in a whirlpool of hatred that blinded me.

Maybe it was time I started being honest with myself...

His eyes met mine, as he gently removed his lips from my palm. The concerned look etched onto his features made me melt as a deeper emotion took over our gaze.

I began noticing everything then. How Karl's eyes flickered across my face, how his touch lingered on my skin, how we had both shifted closer to one another only centimeters keeping us apart, and those addicting circles that he methodically made on the back of my hand.

I abruptly broke our eye contact, reverting my gaze to the cool satin sheets wrapped around my torso. We both seemed to remember where we were then, and the implications of the position we were currently in.

I coughed before whispering, "It's getting late..."

I heard Karl hum in agreement beside me before saying, "Yeah, yeah, you're right, I should probably get to bed..."

My eyes roamed from the luxurious sheets to where our hands remained intertwined, the warmth from him radiating through me. As Karl began to slowly draw his hand away, something primal in me gripped it just a bit tighter.

He hesitated, feeling my hold on him tighten as his eyes met mine, a confused look gracing his features, "What's up?"

I felt panic fill my chest.

Why did I do that? What do I say?! God, he's looking at me! He won't stop looking at me!

"Umm.." I cleared my throat, attempting to keep my words steady, "W-would you like to sleep in the bed tonight?"

He shook his head slightly staring at me, "No, no," My heart sank, "I'm not going to make you sleep on the floor, Hailey. I'll be okay, I promise" He gave me a reassuring smile, comfortingly squeezing my hand a bit tighter.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance, "No Jacobs, I meant do you want to spend the night with me?"

At my words, he seemed to pale, as his lips formed a silent 'Oh'. A moment of silence passed between us before he said, "Why?"

Instinctively, my eyebrows rose with my temper, "Do you have to question everything I do?"

A hint of a smile twitched on his lips, "Alright, but only if you're sure?"

I nodded my head, "I'm sure. I need you to get some sleep for the shoot tomorrow"

A tight line appeared across his lips as he considered my words, "Alright," He finally said tightly, before giving my hand one last squeeze and standing up to begin making his way to the other side of the bed.

I rolled over on my side, facing away from him, as I felt the mattress dip down as he laid beside me.

I shut my eyes tightly trying to ignore the heat that was already spreading through the sheets.

What am I doing...

Things are heating up...