Chapter Eighteen

En başından başla

"You didn't answer my question," he reminded her.

"What question?" she asked, remembering his previous question about tonight. But tonight what? She was still puzzled by that incomplete question.

"Will you let me sleep with you tonight?" he asked huskily, his eyes searching her face hopefully. Rihanna's heart flooded with relief or was it disappointment?

"You can but no funny business. Only sleeping, " she said sternly using her teacher's tone. Hunter chuckled but didn't answer.

"Go and get ready. You have fifteen minutes more," he said as Rihanna glared at him. How could she get Robbie, herself as well as some food ready in fifteen minutes?

"You get Robbie ready while I pack some food up. Robbie just had his milk and we didn't have anything yet," she said, massaging her temples. Hunter caught her arm.

"Relax, Rihanna. It's a fun trip. Take your time and make some sandwiches and pack up some fruit. We will buy something on the way," he told her. Rihanna smiled with relief and nodded.

In an hour, they had their breakfast and were ready to leave. Rihanna had packed some sandwiches, fruits, some muffins, some potato wedges, and enough juice and water for the journey. Hunter locked up the house well and loaded their luggage onto his truck while Robbie hugged his little backpack of toys, refusing to part with them. They climbed onto Hunter's truck and drove off towards Yellowstone National Park with Robbie singing in the backseat.

"Thank you," Hunter said in a soft voice. "I've never seen him this happy in the last three years. Thank you for not giving up on him," he told her softly. Rihanna smiled.

"You don't need to thank me. I love him and he makes me happy and complete," she told him. Hunter looked a little jealous at her answer but he didn't say anything else.

"Mommy, I'm hungry," said Robbie. Rihanna handed him some potato wedges and he munched happily.

"This is the yummiest food ever," he said, kissing the wedges and eating them. Rihanna grinned seeing his happy antics but Hunter looked more jealous.

"Do you want some?" she asked Hunter, seeing his expression.

"You have to feed me since I'm driving," said Hunter, with a small smile on his lips. Rihanna smiled. Of course, he would want that! She picked up a potato wedge that she had made and fed it to him. His mood seemed to uplift and all was at peace. The rest of the drive they talked about Yellowstone National Park. They stopped midway for refreshments since they had an early breakfast.

"You make the best sandwiches, Mommy," said Robbie, munching his food. Rihanna ruffled his hair and he smiled adorably at her. By the time they reached Yellowstone National Park, it was already lunchtime. Hunter had booked a rustic cabin for themselves and they drove through the West gate of the park towards their cabin.

"Wow, " gasped Robbie, as Hunter parked his vehicle in the free parking area of their cabin. Set on the shores of Hebgen Lake, the cabin looked like the perfect getaway that they needed. "Can we go fishing here, Uncle Hunt?" asked an excited Robbie, already picking up his fishing gear.

"Hang on Robbie. Let's grab a quick lunch first," said Hunter. Rihanna pointed at a Cafe nearby and they walked towards it to eat lunch. Later they unloaded their luggage and carried it into the cabin. After freshening up, they drove into the National Park with Robbie bursting with excitement.

"Have you come here before?" asked Hunter, curiously.

"Yeah, many times." 

"With your friends?" he asked. She knew what he was hinting at but couldn't ask her in front of Robbie.

"No, with my family. I don't have friends. I'm awkward at making friends with anyone so I don't even make an effort. I have always concentrated on my career all my life," she told him. Hunter looked at her with disbelief.

"You didn't have any problems with us," he pointed out. Rihanna shrugged. She had no idea how she connected to Robbie and his uncle so well. She was a good and popular teacher at her school and never had a connection to her students. Neither did she have problems connecting on a professional level with her fellow teachers but where friendships were concerned, she was lost. She couldn't open up much and bond with anyone. The only exception was Adelaide, Rhett's wife who's a simple and sweet girl. She had no problems connecting with Adelaide, their friendship still going strong.

"It's because Mommy loves us, don't you know?" said Robbie happily staring at some elks drinking water at the edge of the river. "Look, are they gonna drink all the water up? They're so thirsty," he said with a laugh. Rihanna clicked a picture of the elks as well as of Robbie and he happily posed. They saw moose, bison, herons, white pelicans, and bald eagles as they drove along Hebgen Lake.

"I want to go for a boat ride to watch the sunset, please," said Rihanna. Hunter smiled.

"Sure," he promised.

They entered the park and checked out the famous Old Faithful Geyser to start with. Rihanna explained to Robbie what a Geyser was as they stood on the boardwalk checking how 8400 gallons of scalding hot water was expelled with such force to create a mist that reached nearly 120 feet high into the air. It was an enriching experience for them and Hunter watched how different Robbie was in Rihanna's company.

He wanted this bond to last forever. He wanted her to stay with them forever. He knew it was a selfish wish but he wanted to be selfish.