"I never lied to you," he said, taking a step closer. "Yes. I screwed around. But I never thought that we would have a chance again."

"Hunter-" Ava said.

"Not now," we both snapped at her, without looking.

"Why now?" I asked. "After fooling around and doing half the female population of the country, you want to have a second chance now?"

"I told you, it's complicated-"

"Then explain. I'm not an idiot," I said.

Hunter took a deep breath. "Fine." He took his keys out of his pockets, unlocked the car, and gave them to me. "I'll tell you on the way."

"Give me my phone," I said.

"No," he replied, already moving to the car.

I had the urge to stomp my foot. "You stubborn asshole!"

"I heard that," he said. "Ava. We'll talk later."

I stomped to the car and got in the driver's seat. Ava was still frozen at the top of the stairs, looking like she'd just learned that the earth was round.

I lowered my window and stuck my head out. "Move your car out of the way!"

She jumped, glared at me, but moved to get her car out. She drove out and we followed, then Hunter closed the gate through the control panel in the car.

Ava's car sped away. The road was empty. It was a Sunday morning. But I had a feeling that even during the weekdays, this place was quiet.

I glanced at Hunter. Was he... smiling?

"Why the hell are you smiling?" I asked, glaring at the road ahead.

He leaned back in his seat. "Stefan told me you never get angry anymore."

"And you're happy because you made me angry?"

"Yep."

I'm not going to punch him. I'm not going to punch him. I'm not going to punch him.

Maybe the urge would pass if I repeat it enough times.

Wait a second. "I thought you just bumped into Stefan. You had the time to speak about me?"

He cleared his throat. "Who else would we speak about?"

Hmm. There was something there. I had to talk to Stefan. But Stefan wouldn't tell me anything he didn't want to. I had a better idea. I would just sic Lia on him. She'd get me all the information I wanted.

"So?"

He sighed. "Why do we have all the important conversations in the car?" He mumbled to himself.

"Talk."

"Fine." He hesitated. "I almost died."

I frowned, slowing the car down. "What do you mean? Were you in a car accident?" It was always the first thing that came into my mind.

"No. It happened in a fight."

A fight? I raked my memory. I didn't watch Hunter's fights... okay, maybe I did in my moments of weakness. But I didn't watch all his fights.

However, I followed the news pretty closely. And I didn't remember any mention about a life threatening injury in any of his fights.

"It didn't happen during an official fight," he said.

Slowly, I eased the car to the side of the road. We hadn't yet merged into the main road, so there was enough space.

I turned and looked at him. "You had a fight with someone?"

Learning to LiveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara