Chapter 12

Kali was created out of a giant purple crystal, extracted from a now long-forgotten behemoth. It is not something usually done. Most often such crystals are painstakingly cut, and multiple kindred are born at the same time.

Diligent as ever, Maker's scholars tended to write down the names, dates, and even Maker's own words soon upon creation of each new life through the Genesis process. She has read once how, around the time of her own birth(about a century ago), Maker almost lamented making Kali, saying, ''I took too much, I took too much.''

What he meant by those words he would not say, not to her, not to anyone.

Did he regret creating her? Did he not love her, the way he does all other crystalborn? Even when not roaming the Western Equiya—Theia knows where—Maker is here near her, but not really here. Often locked away deep inside his library, a world of paper and bound leather.

Behemoths came from the ocean(a world-sea of perpetual turmoil). Naturally, Kali created and implemented a forewarning system whereby almost the entire coast of Dontium was watched for the appearance of these gigantic beasts. She wanted the system to remain active always, but Maker, as ever, had to argue against her wishes. His reasoning was sound. Behemothic attacks happened roughly once every eight years, and there was no reason, therefore, to maintain it indefinitely. The strain on resources, he argued, would simply be too great. Of course, to the chagrin of many kindred close to Maker, she challenged him on the issue until he agreed for a third of the Western Equiya's coast to be constantly monitored at any time. If the sometimes-inconsistent eight-year pattern were to dramatically change, the army best be prepared.

After the skirmish in the Ardorium Arena, Kali feared Maker might find her actions discourteous—a trait Maker often found to be the most execrable one. But she noticed no change, Maker always was and continued to be kind to her.

She understood not why, but this lack of change made Kali angry.

Not much for carousals—mainly consisting of hugging, kissing, loud laughter, and dancing—Kali preferred to hone her ''path of the blade.'' This is how she called it(a descriptor she never uttered). Her own personal quest of achieving true perfection in the matter of bladesmanship.

She mastered the scythe utterly, decades ago, and other weapons are but her plaything now.

Despite this, Kali pondered that true perfection is unattainable; nevertheless, it was not about the ending but the journey itself, the passionate questing for that unobtainable.

Maker would sometimes disappear for weeks or even months, and it would befall on Kali, a great burden, to be his will; an imperatrix of Dontium. The supreme commander of all the legions and keeper of peace. Kali often disliked bureaucracy involving the running of the Five Cities and the myriad towns and small settlements, but it could not be helped. Maker did not ask, he expected her to perform her duty flawlessly.

Am I just a seneschal unto his eyes? Kali thought.

An avid reader of all works history, Kali sometimes wondered how humans so adequately managed the undertaking of running their kingdoms and empires. They seem to have been primitive and weak—millions of mouths always in need of food and water(a logistical nightmare, that must have been).

And yet, Maker admired them. Their achievements at least. Oh, he would never admit this, of course, but she knew Maker, she knew him better than most, even knew the name the humans have bestowed upon him. Despite the obliteration he did to humankind, he admired their civilizational achievements, passionately using those as a platform for the world-realm of kindred.