Chapter 5: Lonely City Boy Needs A New Friend

Start from the beginning

Finally breaking the fervent, needy kisses, I touched his forehead with mine and whispered, "Tae, please stay with me. Don't ever do this again; I won't survive it this time."

Only now did I realize that between the time I first remarked how beautiful he was, shrouded in the shadows against the starlit sky, and the moments I saw his radiant, smiling face cheerfully helping his villagers, a seed had sprouted in my heart. Hope.

A teary-eyed Longtae spoke in a soft voice, "Sand... I genuinely didn't intend to do that. I promise."

Though I hoped so, I wasn't willing to take any chances. For now, I planned to keep a close eye on him. I lifted him in my arms and carried him to my hut.

Upon entering, he appeared frightened, his eyes wide as saucers. I nearly chuckled.

"Sand, why did you bring me here? What's going on?" Longtae asked, looking adorable with that anxious expression.

"Relax, I'm not continuing what happened at the waterfall. I just wanted you to change into dry clothes. Your house is quite far," I explained with a teasing smile, handing him my shirt and pants.

"Go ahead, and we'll talk after. I'll be outside making you a hot cocoa," I reassured him.

As I carried two cups of hot cocoa to the open living area, Longtae emerged from my room, looking lost in the oversized shirt and sweatpants. He looked adorable.

"These clothes are too big," he mentioned, gesturing with his hands and feet, making little shaking movements in the process. He looks so cute I just can't stop the huge smile on my face.

"But they look cute on you. Come, sit here," I gestured to the chair beside me.

He appeared uncertain and confused but followed my lead.

"Did I startle you when I pulled you out of the water? I was scared," I admitted.

"It's okay, but I really wasn't trying to do what you thought. I just wanted to soothe my puffy eyes," Longtae explained.

"Alright," I replied. It felt more natural not to pressure him, especially considering how hard he had been trying to shoulder his burden alone.

Sipping his drink, Longtae glanced around.

"Is that your car?" he asked, pointing at the Jeep.

"Yeah, why?" I inquired.

"If you happen to go to town, could you take me with you sometime? I've always wanted to buy something for the kids here, but it's quite challenging to carry them by myself."

"Sure, let's go on my next day off," I suggested, and Longtae rewarded me with that angelic smile of his.

"What did you do before coming here, though?" Tae inquired.

"I used to work as a paramedic at a hospital, an ambulance EMT, and a band singer before that," I mentioned, smiling into my cup.

Longtae is deflecting.

"No wonder you have such a nice voice. Why didn't you continue singing? You seemed to love it," he pointed out.

"I was heartbroken, and I couldn't continue," I shared, offering the most honest but minimal truth.

Longtae sighed, "I'm sorry, that must have been awful. You want to ask me why I was crying, didn't you?"

"Only if you want to talk about it," I reassured him.

"I fell in love with someone from Bangkok. We were together for a while. I found out he was cheating, so I left. Today, I accidentally saw that he is already in a new relationship," he whispered in a tiny voice.