dog days are over // part one | t.h.

Start from the beginning

"Wow. That's definitely the first time I've heard a "I'm not like other celebrities" speech." You said sarcastically but playfully.

"Oh yeah? What are you, some kind of celebrity dog walker?" Tom humored you and put Tessa down. She immediately nuzzled up to your leg and laid down on your foot.

"You could say that." You smiled coyly and bent down to pet Tessa.

"Oh. I was trying to tease you but I guess that's exactly what your job is." He laughed and bent down as well to be eye level with you.

"Yep. That's how your brother found me. I was walking one of Ariana Grande's thousand dogs and it bit Harry on the ankle out side of a Panera."

"Oh shit. Tolouse?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?" You smiled in surprise.

"That's the only one I know." He sheepishly admitted.

"Honestly, me too. I just call "Toulouse" and make kissy sounds and they all come running. All 500 of them."

"Kissy sounds?" He laughed in confusion.

"You know." You smiled shyly and made kissing sounds to show Tom what you meant.

"Oh. I like that. See, this is how I call Tess." He said and stood up. He then bent his knees a little and patted his thighs. Tessa stopped cuddling you to run to him.

"Ah, yes. The old crouch and pat. You know your stuff." You smiled and stood up straight.

"I'm glad you approve." He said as he blushed at the compliment, even if it was stupid.

"I do. I respond to the same call actually." You joked.

"Good to know." Tom laughed. You looked at each other for a minute and a silence filled the room for a little too long. It was surprisingly not awkward, just noticeable. Tom felt unusually comfortable with you and liked that Tessa did too.

"So what kind of services do you think you might need?" You asked to break the silence.

"Well, I travel a lot for work. So I need someone to look after her while I'm away. She's a really good dog, though. She does all her business on walks which I try to do twice a day and she never bites or growls. Except at my brother. But he usually growls first."

"She sounds great." You laughed and gave Tessas chin a scratch.

"She is. She's kinda my best friend."

"That's sweet. Have you had her a long time?"

"Since I was 16, yeah." Tom told you.

"Aw." You pouted. "She grew up with you."

"Yeah. She did. Though neither of us got much bigger than we were when we first met." Tom tried to joke.

"You're the same size you were at 16?" You raised an eyebrow.

"Height wise, unfortunately yes. But fortunately I grew in other places since being 16, if you know what I mean." Tom replied, immediately regretting it. You raised both eyebrows at him this time and looked at Tessa to see if she heard that too.

"Oh. Cool." You laughed awkwardly.

"I wish I didn't say that." He admitted.

"I wish that too." You nodded before an awkward silence fell. you stared at each other for a moment before Tom changed the subject.

"Let me show you around." He offered and put his hand on your back to lead you around the house. He brought you into all the rooms and ended the tour in his pantry.