Chapter 11- Scars

Chapter 11

'Til all my sleeves are stained red 

From all the truth that I've said 

Come by it honestly I swear 

Thought you saw me wink, no 

I've been on the brink, so

Tell me what you want to hear 

Something that were like those years 

I'm sick of all the insincere 

So I'm gonna give all my secrets away

---From "Secrets" by OneRepublic

"Do you think someone could be following us?" I asked with a slightly worried look in my eyes.

"I don't know, Korah. I don't know."

"I don't suppose you have anymore 'friends' we may run into?"

"Uhhh...I know a lot of people, but none that I know of are in the area."

"I need some more answers., Kristoff. It's your turn to tell me something about you. Other than what I've already figured out."

"Fine. But only if you tell me about your visit with The Supreme Ruler."

I gave him a hard look, and nodded my assent, "Agreed. But you start first."

"What do you want to know?"

"Who is your father?"

Kristoff's face hardened with that question and he said, "Other than that. Anything else. I just can't tell you. And please don't push it."

"All right. Tell me a story from when you were little. Your favorite one." I said with a small smile on my face. That way, hopefully, no sensitive issues would be poked at.

A small smile overcame his face too and his eyes looked distant, revealing what he was thinking about,"All right. I'll tell you the story of how I got my scars."

"Umm..not to offend you, but how is that a happy memory?"

"It started as the happiest day of my life, but obviously turned downhill. I choose to try and remember the good more than the bad."

"That's a good philosophy to have."

"Yes, it is. Also I'd be an idiot to not notice how much you wanted to know it."

I blushed slightly before he began speaking.

"We were playing in the garden..." he began.

{Kristoff's Flashback}

"Tag! You're it!" my brother screeched before running to hide near the roses.

"Aww! No fair!" I whined.

"Yes, fair! It's not my fault you were looking at the pretty girl over there."

Ahh, Amelia. She was the prettiest girl I'd ever met. I never told Gabriel this, but yesterday she kissed me on the cheek in the labyrinth when we were hiding. She was a few years older than me, and she was looking at me now, crooking her finger in my direction. I glanced at my younger brother, who looked much older than he was, hiding amongst the prickly roses, then towards Amelia. Her hair flowed in the wind and her sparkling eyes beckoned.