Chapter 2- A stranger in the Field

Chapter 2 

I kept running for nine more years, gathering answers, continuing my father's legacy. I traveled near and far, visiting exotic lands. But I still have not found a place where His eyes do not reach.

I picked myself up from the ground blood still on my hands. I picked up his sword to see if it was salvageable, but it was far too heavy for my slender frame and would only slow me down. I left it.

I continued pushing through the rough grass, but at a much more relaxed pace now that no one was trying to kill me. That I could see at least.

I heard the snap of a branch behind me. I whirled around and shouted, "Who's there? I'm armed and not afraid to kill."

"Well I can see that," an arrogantly sounding voice said.

"Show yourself," I hollered.

"Fine. If you drop your weapons and stand on your head."

Was this guy for real? "Are you crazy?"

"Maybe. No one knows for sure. I should be asking you the same question. I mean you did just kill a man. For all I know you could be the psycho."

"That's ridiculous. Besides, that was self defemse."

"Says you. Obviously, you've killed before, though. The way you did it like you knew what you were doing. And if this was your first kill you would be grief-stricken with guilt no matter who it was. So, again I say, put down your weapons and tell me who you are."

"Fine, but I'm not standing on my head."

He chuckled softly. "Deal."

I laid down my dagger in the grass. I left the knife in my boot. There was no way he would know it was there. "Since you can see me you know I put down my weapon. My name's Korah, by the way."

He tsked while walking around me, being very careful to not let me see him yet. "C'mon. We both know you have a knife in your boot," he said very knowingly.

My eyes widened. There was no way he could have know that. "How did you know that?" I shouted out.

"A good magician never reveals his secrets. Now take out the knife.There was a reason I said put down your weapons."

I begrudgingly pulled out my backup knife from its hiding place in my boots.

"Happy now?"

"Very much so, thanks for asking."

"I told you my name, so tell me yours," I asked.

"Kristoff. But you can call me Kris for short."

"Fine, Kristoff, where are you from and what are you doing out here? And why won't you show yourself?"

"I'm from the easternlands, I'm seeing what you're doing, and by not showing myself, I retain an air of mystery."

I snorted and said, "What? Are you afraid I won't like what I see?"

With those words the rustling in the tall grass grew louder and taller until I could make out a figure emerging from it. Kristoff was long and tall with short, choppy black hair. He had deep blue eyes that seemed to go right to his soul. He had a very prominent jaw and sharp cheekbones. He appeared very strong despite his narrow build as evidenced by the longsword in his hand. As soon as I saw his arms, I saw the reason for his shyness. They wore covered in hundreds of scars, big and small. They looked familiar.

I gasped when I realized they looked like Za's arms when I'd found her dead in the grass. That means he went through the torture of the Thousand Cuts and somehow survived.