Chapter 2 - Inner Thoughts

There was a silence between the four of the them as the two Fontainian women looked at him nervously while Aether was surprised at their arrival. Paimon was also nervous as she looked at Aether and the girls one after another, not knowing what to do.

That was when Aether remembered about the words he had said and how he had ranted just moments ago. His eyes widened when he realised that they had heard him as he looked at the two girls.

"About what I had said just now." Aether said to the two of them.

"We, we understand Aether. There's no need for you to say anything else." Navia said to him politely.

"No. I mean, I was just ranting about my frustrations. I'm not holding you guys responsible." Aether said to them as he walked to them.

"Don't worry Aether. We both know you don't mean it." Furina said to him politely.

Aether opened his mouth to say something before he stopped and sighed heavily.

"Sorry, I really shouldn't be acting like this. Especially after all that you have gone through." Aether said to them as he held his head.

"What are you saying Aether?" Navia asked him as she frowned alongside Furina.

"I mean, you guys had just been affected by the prophecy. Sure you survived but some people of Poisson didn't and the entirety of Fontaine was affected by the flood as well." Aether said to them as he sighed.

"That doesn't mean you have to act like that Aether. Seriously, we don't hold anything against you for feeling that way." Navia said to him with a shake of her head.

"Navia is right Aether. You don't have to act like that. I can understand why you would say those things." Furina said to him seriously.

"I see. But what were you guys doing listening in on us?" Aether asked the two of them.

At that both girls blushed as they were flustered as they looked at him.

"Well, lady Furina had come to Poisson and I went to talk with her. You already know how the people of Poisson feel about her so we talked outside. That was when we spotted the two of you sitting in the distance." Navia said to him with a smile.

"Naturally, we were curious about why you were there so we came here. We didn't expect you to be ranting like that." Furina said to him seriously.

"I see. That makes sense I guess." Aether said when he heard that.

Navia looked a bit nervous as she thought about something in her mind. She took a few seconds to think before she looked at him.

"Um, Aether, can I also sit here with you?" Navia asked him a bit nervously.

"I don't mind but why?" Aether asked her as he looked at her confused alongside Paimon and Furina.

"It's just, I wanted to have some time for myself and spending it with a trustworthy friend is better in my opinion." Navia said to him with a smile.

"I guess that makes sense." Aether said with a nod.

"I will also be joining you three. I do need to be away from the common folk." Furina said as she looked at them.

"Okay. If that's what you want." Aether said to them.

He then went and sat on the ground, a bit away from where he had previously sat. Navia sat on his left while Furina sat on his right while Paimon was floating behind the three. The three of them looked at the waters in front of them in silence, something which Aether appreciated.

"You know, I never actually fully thanked you did I?" Navia said after a few moments of silence.

"What do you mean?" Aether asked her in confusion.