Chapter 32: The sky is falling

The falling of the dragon from the sky was even scarier than the perishment of draugrs. The beast was so large, it was like all the sky was falling onto earth. When the giant beast fell into the ocean, great waves were created higher than Hogwarts. Many ships sank down to the depths of the North Sea. With the wave effect of dying, the dragon killed almost two out of seven of the Viking army and destroyed twenty percent of their ships. The dragon successfully accomplished his mission. His role during the war was too short but still managed to destroy the most important creature of the enemy. His roars when he was shot were still echoing in the ears of Sir William and these sounds had not left him peace until his death.

 Vikings didn't attack again after the dragon's death. They chose to withdraw and planned their new strategy. Ragnar was furious about losing the most trusted soldiers and many ships. They have lost two thousand soldiers against enemies' thousand. They still had thousands of soldiers but the English army was melting in each step.

 But in Ragnar's point of view, a Viking soldier was much more valued than a thousand English. He was so sure about not giving any casualty because of immortal draugrs before the beginning of the end. But legendary draugrs were destroyed. They were avenged but, what for... Most part of the Viking army was lost and he was constantly blaming himself for that.

 He swung his giant ax to the mast of his ship and cut it down with only one swing with the anger of defeat for the first part of the battle. His hands were in his own blood because of punching to ship. They only managed to destroy 3 out of 4 of the enemy muggles but in reverse gave many things. The battle should have been won if everything had moved on according to the plan.

 But Viking army still outnumbered the English army. All the commanders were discussing the next step but Ragnar. He was only listening and trying to surpass this fury to make a new plan calmly. Some of the commanders were suggesting turning back and insisting it was a sign that they should not continue this war. Others were advising visa versa. Njal came closer to Ragnar and said: "As all of you know, we have only one authority in this world as the voice of gods from Valhalla. None of you have the right to talk or act another way than he commands,so be silent you all, and may the king decide:

"With the words of Njal, Ragnar came to himself and became calmer, stood up silenced everyone by punching the table, and said "What is done is done. Tonight we will join the feast of gods in Valhalla, prepare yourselves."

 While the moon was advancing to the sky, Ragnar started to second wave with an arrow rain.
Everyone -except wizards and witches- in the Viking army shot arrows together. It was seen as a forthcoming cloud at first by the English army.

 Trolls also sent arrows. Their arrow were spears and they were using giant bows to send them. Their bows were so tense, it needed too much power to pull. Only trolls were able to do that. Maybe Njal could do that. But he was using a regular one so saying that he could, is only theoretical.

 English army immediately took cover with shields but many were wounded anyway. Wizards and witches tried to destroy those arrows while they were still on their way but they couldn't. Because arrows were protected by Hilda Bloodshield and other magic-folk of the Viking army.

 Then Viking war horns were heard from the distance. It was the cue of the bloodiest close combat in history.