Chapter X (Raw)

I finally got another job, as a library assistant.

I know, it doesn’t seem like a great job but you shouldn’t see any job as a small one. Always respect them.

I probably could have gotten some other job but books are awesome. So I prefer this one. All my degrees will go to waste but we will think about that later. Time to get some icecream for tonight. Vanilla with Sweet Sriracha, I think I will give this one a try.

Since I was happy, I didn’t see that there was a bit of shouting going on, inside the garden section. Now I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that I am still standing in the library. And last time I checked it’s supposed to be a quiet zone.

I started going towards the crowd that has formed around the source of all the shouting. Guiding myself through the small crowd I saw a scene that has happened once before.

A fragile little girl cowering infront of a bully, while clutching a book close to her chest. To my surprise, it was the girl from that day. And the bully was none other than cooper.

Welp, here goes my new job. I started walking towards the tall figure of Emily Cooper. She was busy shouting towards the girl in the ground. But unlike the other time, I did manage to keep my cool this time.  I only shoved her a bit this time (Yay me, improvements).

Green piercing eyes looked at me while balancing herself. Before, she could have another outburst, I started giving her a piece of my mind. She has been giving a lot of trouble to this girl.

"What's your problem? Why are you always after her?" I asked keeping an eye contact. I expected another outburst. But definitely wasn’t expecting what happened after that.

She said nothing, looked into my eyes for a second and just walked away. Feeling confused I looked at the girl sitting on the floor. She was looking at me with blank eyes. I politely asked everyone to get back to their business.  And offered my hand to her. She kept looking at me with her emerald green eyes. Looking at them made me feel sad.

Finally she grabbed my hand. Her hand was still shaking a bit.

I pulled her upwards towards me. But I misjudged her strength & she stumbled. Both of us almost fell in the process. But I did manage to recover and hold her in my arms. One of my hand was holding her waist and the other one was trying to balance my position.

"Oops, my bad" I said realising my mistake. She slowly straigtened herself & I asked if she was okay.

She just nodded.

I asked her if she had any scratch on her? Answer was another nod but sideaways.

Finding no other way to cut this awkwardness, I just introduced myself. "My name is Samantha, can I get your name?"

I didn’t want to bring back old memories of her. So thought a fresh start would be better. She was unconscious when I took her to the infirmary that day. So she probably doesn’t even know me.

While fidgeting with her books, she replied with a barely audible tone "I am Rebecca"

I saw that she was still a bit insecure but I just had to know the reason behind the feud between these two. So I gave her one of my trademark smile & said"Ok, Rebecca can you tell me what happened few moments ago"

She looked at me for a second then looked down. After a brief delay, she said that she stumbled while walking & fell.

I knew it was a lie but didn't want to push her too much. I saw that she was holding a book called 23.5. I think I saw it somewhere but can't figure out where.

I had to find a way to talk with her so I asked her to help me look for a back. And as I have guessed, she being a pure soul agreed without any hesitation.

I guess I have saved my job & got a new mission.