𝟒𝟎 || 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐘

Start from the beginning

So I hid the USB away, pulling on one of the drawers of my desk and tucking it under a loose stack of papers and unimportant journals. All that I really wanted was one, and if I was lucky, maybe even two more sustained nights with the satisfaction that I had a viable piece of information that the Koslovs didn't.

These past few nights had been a word far more complex than chaotic. If Violet and I weren't occupied with... other activities, which was quite often—not surprisingly—then I was gone most of the time. Either with calls related to the Koslovs that woke both Violet and I in our sleep, or last minute banking and social organization meetings that I was forced to attend to.

Speaking of peaceful nights, it was already late, and I thought I'd might as well take advantage of this one. Like I said, that USB could wait.

Heading upstairs and entering our dimly lit bedroom, I found Violet sitting up straight on her side of the bed. Her knees were drawn close, fingers delicately entwined in her hair— lost in thought. This had been happening often lately; times where she was strangely silent and less observant of her surroundings.

The gentle sound of the door closing was enough for her to spark back, and her eyes instantly met with mine. "What are you thinking about?" I asked as I pulled my T-shirt over my head, tossing it to the ground.

"Nothing," she replied, shaking her head with a reassuring smile. A momentary pause lingered before she redirected the conversation as I slipped into bed with her. "What were you working on so late?" she asked.

"Finances." The subtle play of shadows cast by the bedside lamp manipulated the room into feeling tighter as I lied. Though, it was half of the truth since I'd been updating them prior to my contemplation of uploading the USB.

Violet shifted on the mattress, her cheek finding solace against the palm of her hand as she faced me properly. "We aren't going broke, are we? I might have to divorce you if we are," she smiled, and I could tell that she was only teasing.

My hand slid under her tank top, resting on her skin. The small of her back felt delicate under my touch, and as I pulled her closer, her smile widened, her eyes sparkling with a ribbing glint. "Divorce, huh?"

She smiled again, knowing that was anything but an option. "Do you ever think about that?" she inquired, her tone taking a more thoughtful turn.

"About what? Divorce?"

"No," she clarified, her fingers gently rustling through my hair. The dim light painted a mosaic of shadows and highlights on her face, accentuating the sincerity in her eyes. "I mean, the rules of this—us. I don't really understand them."

I narrowed my eyes to her. "How much were you told?"

It took her a moment to collect her thoughts before responding. "As much as Antonio explained when we met again, and what that man explained when we signed the contract." Her voice seemed uncertain, revealing the gaps in her comprehension.

My eyebrows furrowed, attempting to remember the explanations that we were both given that day. Any memory regarding Violet was almost crystal clear and engraved to my memory, which is why I remembered how vague the information regarding our marriage was. Was that really all she knew?

"When did you find out about our arrangement?" I prodded.

Her gaze momentarily faltered, a shadow passing through her eyes. "The night after we..." she hesitated before continuing with a determined look. "You know. When did you find out?"