XVI - Point of View

Start from the beginning

She raised her pinky finger at me and I immediately raised mine too, interlocking it with hers. "Remember our promise? Never keep secrets from each other?" she asked, while our pinkies are still interlocked.

"Of course." she pulled her hand away from mine, i just copied what she's doing and sat on the sand with our legs stretched out, locking our elbows as our palms rest on the ground. She playfully kicked my leg so I kicked back, which made her laugh but her face turned serious immediately.

That day, she told me how she's feeling certain confusions, but she concluded that she might be attracted to girls just like how she is attracted to boys. I felt a rumbling inside of my stomach that travelled around my back up to the back of my head that I quite don't understand. But I just listened to her as she tells stories of how she came up with that conclusion. I gave her an assurance that there is nothing wrong with what she's feeling, it's normal for humans to feel love towards another human.

As we walked back to our cabin, we showered together before getting ready for bed. I cuddled beside her, but all I can think about before I drifted to sleep is the idea that she likes girls.

The possibility of her tending attention to a different girl is bothering me. We've been best friends since forever, and I don't want another girl getting her love and care that she has been giving me.

But...

I don't want her to think that I do not support her for who she is, so I kept in mind that I will always be special to her - the most special.

===============================================

We got in one of the most prestigious private international schools in the Philippines, we're finally college students! Michelle has been busier since she decided to run for batch representative. She actually asked me to join her but I don't really like the idea of being in position just to do certain responsibilities and duties or what-nots, so I just made a promise to her that I'll help her with anything that she needs, I'll even volunteer to their projects and events if ever she wins.

What am I even thinking? Of course she'll win.

She decided to change her style, which I should be given credit for. When we were much littler kids, she joined youth pageants, and I always thought that that side of hers stands out. But then again, she decided to be comfortable with what she wears and how she looks with the nonchalant and boyish style. But now, it's different. She's different. 

Yet she is still that charming, beautiful, poised woman I grew up with. Just more, just better.

I've had petty relationships back in high school, but those boys reaaaallyyy know how to be annoying. They try to kiss me even though I don't want them to, I just like having someone to hold my hand, carry my bag for me, buy me lunch, walk me to my classes and such.

Nasanay ata kasi ako.

As I reminisce the past years, Michelle and I attended the same high school as well, but for the past four years, we've never been in the same classrooms, so our schedules don't really match. But we get to be together during mornings, lunch breaks, study breaks, and of course whenever there are celebrations in school. She never forgets to take care of me, she does all the little things that she thinks don't matter, but for me, those little things are the most flattering. She doesn't realize how she remembers to do things without me ever asking her.