Barriers

"This is a ball and all of you must behave" Elder Yan stated with a stern face, flicking her finger randomly from one youth to the other. Only this simple sentence silenced the little whisperings going around. We weren't really much that were here, just about twenty Men I think. Our community is a really small place and almost everybody knows each other.

Elder Yan is the oldest Elder in Alanda. She is known to be the sternest elder in the community. Even with her old wiggly body, wispy hair and the wooden stick she holds to support herself, she's always more than ready to deal with anything. She's the best at chastising if you'd ask me, and that's why nobody dares look for her trouble. At least I don't.

She eyes  us wearily before going to stand beside the Mewu priest.

The sun was already going down causing everywhere to seem a bit dark. The priest sprinkles salt on the alter muttering some words over and over again before cutting her palm allowing her blood leak on it. That's going to be painful.

To be honest, I don't believe the alter can lead us to Taiwan. Everytime I think about it, I feel it's more like a fairytale, something that has been told to every generation to try to prove some magical theory.  I'm more of believe only what you see.

I'm not really a mythical person. It took me years to believe Taiwan existed, the Elders always tell insane tales about it. I guess it just stuck to me_even though I still doubt the existence.

I think that's why I took my precious time while dressing up for the ball. I settled for my white shirt, black pants with Father's old tie. I might as well play along. Even in the midst of the chaos that took place at home I kept my cool- Titian crying his eyes out while going on about how he needed enough time for his final farewell. Totally stupid, I know. That didn't stop Milea and mother from doing the same though. Even Father almost shed a tear.

"Do you think we're going to survive" Titian whispered harshly beside me. He's definitely not okay.

"You're thinking too much into this" I whispered back sighing as I smoothen my shirt. " We don't even know if the portal is real why stre ..."

A few voices cut me off, their harsh whisperings disorienting my speech.

"So it was real"

"Good lord, it exists"

I guess a lot of us really doubted the stories. Titian's grip tightened on my shoulder as Elder Yan ushered us further into the temple. The once flat alter now had a deep open aperture
Leading into total oblivion. The priest kept muttering a few words while holding onto his palm that was still dripping blood on floor.

"Alright, who's going first" Elder Yan stated ushering us closer. I glanced around to see who was going first but most of the boys kept shuffling back. I guess it is a bit scary.

Someone has to go though, shrugging Titian off me I took a step forward earning a scared shriek from my brother. Someone has to be the bigger person. I was about to raise my hand to volunteer but I was interupted by a boy standing closer to the alter. He already had his hand up to volunteer, earning a few gasps, scared cats. He wore a stern look before moving closer to the portal. Elder Yan patted his shoulder before giving him a crooked smile, as she brought him closer to the portal. I can't believe I lived long enough to Elder Yan smile.

"Just go through it and wait for the others on the other side" Elder Yan said earning a sharp nod from him. She gave him a little push before he disappeared into the deep oblivion.

" Next person"

" Me " I rushed as I walked towards Elder Yan. She ushered me forward letting me stand in front of the alter.

"Go on then"

I glanced back to look at my scared brother, he looked like he was about to pass out. Can't blame him, I feel the same within. Sighing I close my eyes as I slowly walk into the darkness letting it capture me whole.

Instantly, a harsh wind blew towards me making me to snap my eyes open . Everything feels different, unreal and cold.

It felt like I just walked through a closed door. The other world does exist, it wasn't just a myth. The late nights horror stories told by the Elders about this mystical world weren't actually made up. And i definitely regret never concentrating during story telling.

Everything feels so surreal. I dig my nails into my palm as I slowly take a step forward, trying to ignore the harsh wind that kept hitting my skin. The walls around me are very beautiful, ethereal I would say, with ancient carvings on them. My hands itch with the urge to feel them under my palm. 

My jaw dropped in disbelief . It's definitely a castle. Every where was gigantic. The corridor in front of me is so long, probably leading to a room. Beautiful ancient paintings and artifacts beautify the corridor.

Lovely.

A painting that shows absolute serenity, my eyes can't seem to tear away from it. It looks enchanting like everything here. A painting of the silent sea, it's beautiful. My heels clicked roughly as I trotted towards the painting. It even looks more beautiful up close.

"We shouldn't touch anything"

My heart skipped a beat in my chest as I turn around at the deep voice. The boy who came in first,Tyran I think, stood a few feets in front of me.

"Elder Yan and the others will be here soon" he stared glancing behind me before his eyes landed on my face. He just had to come at his moment, hmph. Just in time, the portal reappeared making everyone shuffle forward.

"Behave boys" Elder Yan chastised before walking toward us, the other boys following slowly behind. She glanced around before ushering us all down the dim corridor.