CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR.

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR — into the maze

DAY broke, the sun shining directly into Riley's eyes. She wanted to stay in bed and bask in the lush feeling of having a mattress between her and the floor. Plus a bed frame.

She also wanted to keep her head on Payton's chest.

Payton had asked if they could sleep in the same bed that night, claiming it was for 'old times sake' but they both knew the truth. It was for comfort. Comfort against the monsters outside and the monsters inside. Comfort for each other so they know that no matter how lonely this new world feels, they'll always have each other.

As soft as she could muster, Riley pushed her weight off of Payton's chest, his hand falling limp at her side.

She pushed herself away from him and onto the cold concrete. She relished in the cool feeling combating the sweat on her skin. The thick concrete walls trapping any breeze from entering, matched with Payton's body heat had Riley steaming in her sleep.

Her joints pop and her muscles stretched as she quickly got changed, the sound of the men quietly talking amongst themselves while they woke was drifting in from downstairs.

Once her boots were on and her laces were tied securely, Riley crouched down on her knees in front of the bunk and pushed a fallen strand of hair from Payton's face.

She pressed her chapped lips to his nose, giving it a kiss. Then she pressed her lips to his. It took a moment but he responded quickly. His hand coming up to the back of her neck, keeping her mouth attached to his.

He pushed into the kiss with such fervor that Riley almost swung her leg over his lap and forgot about her early morning duties. Duties that were currently waiting for her downstairs and who would definitely hear her neglecting said duties.

Riley pulled back, Payton's hand still in her hair. She pressed a final kiss to his lip line before retreating fully.

"I gotta go help the others find the cafeteria today. I'll see you later, Greenie."

Payton smiled, his hand falling away from her hair, his eyes drooped from still-lingering exhaustion. "Okay, gorgeous."

Her cheeks reddened and her smile reached her eyes. She pressed one final kiss to his lips and stood, heading downstairs.

☠︎

Spray paint soaked the walls in shapes of arrows, feet shuffled against blood covered floors. The group rounded a corner after several minutes of walking, only to come into contact with a small crowd of walkers, their dislocated jaws and rotting wrists coming towards them with as much speed as they could gather up.

"Go back, go back! Move!" Rick yelled in as small of a tone as he could, each survivor retreating as they heard the direct order flow urgently from their leaders mouth.