CHAPTER FOUR.

CHAPTER FOUR — angels on horseback

THE church was the perfect example of hope being dangled right in front of you and ripped away as painfully as possible.

There were no bells nor steeple, only a speaker with the sound of church bells on a timer that was set to play every half-hour.

Now, Carol was praying to whatever higher power was listening to help her daughter; to make sure she's alive and safe. The rest of the group was silent as she finished her prayers and slowly made her way back outside with the rest of the group, Lori holding her along the way to comfort her.

Shane cleared his throat as he approached the group, catching everyone's attention. "Y'all gonna follow the creek bed back. Okay, Daryl, you're in charge. Me and Rick, we're just gonna hang back, search this area another hour or so just to be thorough."

"You're splitting us up. You sure?" Daryl questioned. From his experience he knew being split from the group wasn't always the greatest idea.

"Yeah, we'll catch up to you."

Out of the corner of Riley's eye, she spotted Carl taking a step forward. "I wanna stay, too. I'm her friend."

Shane and Rick shared a look but didn't get the chance to answer Carl. Lori answered for them, deciding who her son was going with. "Just be careful, okay?"

"I will."

"When did you start growing up?" Lori and Rick brought their son in for a sentimental moment, giving Riley and the rest of the group the signal to start getting ready to head back to the highway.

"Here, take this." Rick said, handing Lori his only gun. "Remember how to use it?"

"I'm not taking your gun and leaving you unarmed."

Daryl pulled out a gun from behind his shirt, "Here, got a spare. Take it." Lori nodded once, taking the gun and checking the bullet count.

With that, Riley heard Andrea scoff under her breath. It was clear she was pissed that Lori got a gun over her, but Lori was a police officers wife who clearly knew how to handle a weapon. Andrea had only shot a gun once in her life and it was to shoot her undead sister at close range.

She couldn't be trusted with a gun yet.

Before anymore time has passed, the larger group set off and started their walk back to the highway.

☠︎︎

The heat was coming down hard on the group. The closer they got to the highway, the more stops they needed to take to get there.