Train

Yuli soon stands and wishes us a good night. We have been sitting and talking for the last three hours. I look over at Killan. "Can I...ask you something?" I ask. He grins. "You just did." He states smugly. I roll my eyes, a small smile tugging at my lips. I put my poker face back on. "How long...how long do you think me and Yuli will survive?" I ask. 

Killan looks taken aback. He sits and ponders for a few moments. As he looks down, his elbows on his legs and his mouth covered by his interlocked hands, his solid black hair falls over his eyes. He meets my gaze a moment later with his mesmerizing blue eyes.

"I think you have a shot at being victor. I...I can't say for Yuli, but if he has you with him...I think he will last longer than he would alone." I nod. An audible gulp is heard as I swallow hard. "...I have to try to keep him alive. I promised his family I would for as long as I could." 

His eyes hold a tender gaze. "I...It's not fair that they throw such young kids into such a bloodbath. He's only 12...he-he...I can't keep him alive throughout the entire game-I know that.." I stutter out as I hold my head down.

There are a few moments of silence between us. "When it was my game..." Killan starts. I look up at him. His face shows that he is not all here. Most likely reliving a fraction of his death match. "There was a girl. Her name was Livias Keels."

"She was 12. She was the only 12-year-old that year. She was from District 8. We entered the games in our respective spots...the timer hit 0 and everyone was off. She was almost immediately stabbed through her neck...I remember looking at her bleeding out...and doing nothing." He pauses. "I was too scared to do anything. So, I ran. I ran as fast as my legs would take me."

He chuckled. I raised a brow as my heart ached for him, I wondered why he chuckled. "I still didn't get away...I was shot through my shoulder with an arrow and stabbed through the hand with a knife." He says. I look at his interlocked hands. He sees my gaze and holds it out for me to see. I reach for it and hold his hand in one hand as I run my fingers over the scar.

"It must've hurt," I say quietly. He laughed. "It very much did." He replies. I look up and meet his eyes. We stay like that for a few moments. "Zion, listen." He says. I let go of his hand and he rests it on his knee. "You have to fight. Make allies. Stay hydrated. Above all...survive." He states. I smile. "I planned on it," I say.

He smiles a little back. "Can I...see the scar on your shoulder?" I ask. He doesn't reply as he reaches for his shirt collar. He lifts it over his head to reveal an eight-pack and strong bulging muscles. My face gets hot as I look him over. I set my eyes on the scar and lean closer to him. "Can I touch it?" I ask.

I look at his face for a response. "Sure.." He says. I reach toward the scar and brush my fingers over it lightly. The slightly darker scarred cut felt warm. Maybe because of his body as a whole. I am inches away from him as I continue brushing the small scar. I look down at him, me being the one standing. "Can you feel it?" I ask softly. "No...I never could after it happened." He replies.

We stay like that for a few moments, looking into each other's eyes. I retract my hand and back away by a few steps. "I should get to bed. Not long before we reach the capital." I say. "Yes, your right." He replies standing up. He grabs his shirt and slides it back on. "Goodnight, Zion." He says. "Night," I reply before walking to my assigned room.

I walk into my room, closing the door before going over to the closet and changing into a pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt. Didn't know fancy people liked this type of stuff. Before I knew it, I was engulfed in a soft, comfortable, and warm bed. Covered by amazingly puffy blankets. I close my eyes and feel the darkness overtake me.

.

.

.

.

.

"Breakfast!" Says Adelyn loudly as she knocks on the door. I groan as I sit up. I look around before recollecting the events of yesterday. I feel my face grow hot again at the thought of what happened with Killan last night. Cannot believe I got a crush in one day. Especially on my mentor for THE Hunger Games.

I shake my head and get out of bed. I walk over to the bathroom, running a brush through my hair. I look around for a toothbrush but do not find one. I exit my assigned room and walk into the dining area. 

I catch Adelyn's eye. "What in the hell are you wearing?" She asks horrified. I can't help but burst into a fit of laughter. She looks at me as if I just grew two heads. I notice Yuli laughing as well and Killan looking amused. After I calm down I speak. "I can't find a toothbrush," I state.