Fourty Eight

Mala angled her face away from him to look out the cave entrance once again. Letting out a resigned sigh she took a step towards it and then spoke.

"I've been through a Wyrdgate before so I know what to expect and look for."

Nyx was silent, staring at her with sorrowful eyes, cloaked and shadowed, his face haunted for regret for what he knew was about to conspire.

She reached out a hand of offering and he gazed at it for only a few seconds before finally grasping it in his own.

Leading him out, the light from the sun in the sky was warm and vibrant. It shone down on them both, illuminating the darkness of Nyx's eyes as Mala kept her own line of sight on him.

She didn't want to waste a moment with him.

Didn't want to look away and miss something.

She didn't want to forget a single part of him.

She wanted to remember him.

Him and his warmth. His love. His memories. His life.

As much as it hurt her to leave him, having him in her mind and memories would surely ease the pain.

He met her gaze, eyes filled with feelings she knew. Feelings she herself returned in kind.

They walked down the path from the cave together, hand in hand.

Mala surveyed the area around them, vast foliage and trees rooting from the dusty ground.

"If I were a Wyrdgate where would I be..." she thought out loud, half of her hoping it would bring about some sort of signal as to where one was.

They walked on through the forest, vines drooping down from the treetops and they had to brush them out of the way.

"Are you quite certain there is a Wyrdgate in this world dearest?" Nyx questioned her with concern.

Only slivers of sunlight were peeking through of the canopy of trees then, the environment becoming increasingly more difficult to view the further they walked.

"I am not entirely convinced that there is one yet, but based on the acute fact that a Wyrdgate brought us here, one must be able to be here to bring us back," Mala explained.

It was a simple theory, based on the logic that there must not only be just an entrance and not an exit. If Wyrdgates even adhered to logic.

Energy pooled in the space between where their hands were interlocked. The pure power that emanated from them both was sure to be attracted to other sources of large power as well.

Suddenly, Nyx stopped in his tracks, eyes wide.

"Dear?"

He turned his head to her, eyes wide.

Mala paused as well.

There was a faint pulse of energy, almost similar to that of a heartbeat where their hands were touching. Nyx's shadows snaked along his wrist and encircled her's as well, and when the energy fluctuated, they became a frenzy of mania.

Her face mirrored Nyx's shocked expression.

"Does that mean we're close to a Wyrdgate?" his voice was enthusiastic and hopeful, though it hid the underlying fact that the real truth was that they were nearing their separation.

She nodded, her appearance giving way to a small smile of relief.

"We're close."

The two fae resumed their treck through the woods, pace quickening as they went. Nyx's visible shadows grew as the sun began to disappear due to the great amount of greenery blocking it from reaching the ground floor.

Mala raised her other hand that wasn't holding Nyx's and lit a flame to light up the area.

The energy shared between them was pounding furiously as they continued on, reminding Mala of the urgency that the beast they had killed had felt when wanting to kill them.

They began to run simultaneously, energy traveling between both of their bodies, power circulating through their bloodstreams.

There began to become a bare outline of a cave in the area up ahead of them and they sprinted towards the entrance, adrenaline kicking in and power from what they both knew to be inside the cave urging them to quickly come closer than they were.

They complied.

~long time no see lol srry <3