Did he have to approach everything with the mindset of a Colonel?

A small smile flickered across her face as she looked at the message.

The constant reminders of the regimented nature of their profession grated on her nerves.

He grated on her nerves.

But her heart rate had tripled since looking at her phone.

Sighing, she placed her phone on the table and tried to ignore it.

Her gaze shifted from the cold glow of the screen to Roze and Zero, lost in their own world of shared affection.

Their smiles were filled with devotion and understanding as they leaned close.

A flicker of warmth and hurt surged through her chest as she observed the couple.

She was happy for Zero.

No one had ever looked at her like that.

With such dedication and care.

She had accepted that she wasn't built for it.

Some people just didn't get love and she knew she was probably one of those people.

She intimidated most men, and if she didn't, they wanted her to change her life and be someone she wasn't.

The persistent buzz of her phone continued as a reminder of the world outside the warm cocoon of the bar.

Ophelia took a final sip of her drink, savouring the lingering sweetness on her lips, before reluctantly picking up her phone.

COL: Sgt answer the message.

Was he angry?

Ophelia just frowned as she looked at the phone in confusion.

She sighed, the weight of duty pulling at her even in the vibrant atmosphere.

With a resigned expression, she tapped out a response.

SGT: out with the others. bar somewhere.

She hit send, but there was no immediate reply, no reassuring presence of the three blinking dots indicating that a message was being composed on the other end.

Just silence.

He had seen it. But wasn't replying.

Either he didn't care or was pissed off that his team was being irresponsible.

She had probably just earned them all a grizzling punishment but she bunked with the man, he was going to find out.

Ophelia huffed, frustration simmering beneath her composed exterior, as she slid the phone into her pocket.

She didn't understand him and it was driving her crazy.

And it was making her even madder than she was thinking about him at all.

"You're blushing," a voice whispered in her ear.

Jumping in surprise Ophelia turned to see Askel looking down at her.

Immediately she could see his heated gaze and the wicked slant of his lips.

She grinned at him and waved a hand in the air.

"I don't blush," she said with a huff as she tipped back the rest of her drink, letting the alcohol warm her from the inside.

Askel just smiled and raised an eyebrow.