𝑪𝒉. 𝟏 | 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒖𝒍𝒕

Start from the beginning

"Greetings, Mr. Alzert. I was just about to call you," I said.

His voice seemed like a mix of fear and stress. His breaths were tense in the pause he took before answering my greetings.

"I've had a little family emergency. My wife isn't too well right now, so I won't be able to make it to the flight," he broke the news with a stressful sigh.

I can imagine him holding his head in his hands like he does whilst all his stress lines dig into his temple. Now if any of my other clients or partners had done this, I would have cancelled my deal immediately, but for him, I excused everything. All boundaries when it came to a strict business.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that, I hope she's okay," I consoled, sending prayers.

"But don't worry. My niece Aira will be seeing you. I've decided to give the share to her. I really hope that's not a problem for you," he informs as the boarding call for my flight echoes in the area.

Grabbing my suitcase and repeating her name just to make sure I heard it right, I unconsciously knocked hard into a delicate body. Watching her lose her balance and trip over her heels, she falls to the ground harshly with her suitcase. An annoying groan escaped my throat at the sight.

"Are you blind?" she yells from the floor, holding her ankle in her hand.

My eyes look down at the woman who has medium-length black hair and tanned skin. Her eyes are hazel brown, shining through the lights that lay above us.

"She'll meet you in Australia so you don't have to wait for her at the airport," Mr. Alzert's voice reached me through the phone, getting my attention.

"Can you not see? You should use your eyes as well when you're on the phone," she bitterly spoke to my face whilst getting back on her feet.

"Mr. Alzert I'll call you back," I say hanging up with immense frustration at her audacity.

"Couldn't YOU see that I was on the phone?" I raised my tone slightly, wincing my eyes at her.

My voice echoes through the airport walls, making everyone's eyes turn to us. She has thin, yet dense black eyebrows that gracefully taper towards the corner of her nose. They catch my eyes as I begin to study her facial features. She's one blessed woman. I hate to admit that I haven't come across any woman this pretty.

"What do you mean? You should be apologising. But instead, you're telling me I should've been more careful. Who do you think you are?" she argued, displaying her not-so-pretty personality.

"I do not-" I start to talk in response to the not-so-needed level of anger she is sitting on.

"What do you mean you do not? You owe me an apology, mister. Because of you, my phone broke as well," she struggled waving it in my face.

That's when my brain clicks and a laugh travels out of my mouth. I stare at her, knowing exactly what she's trying to do. This has happened way too many times. It's impossible for people not to know who I am. I am on all billboards and posters for my success.

"What the hell is so funny?" she enquires, so cluelessly.

"I know exactly what you're trying to do," I say taking a step towards her with arching eyebrows.

"You probably have had this broken phone for ages, saw a rich man like me and bumped into me on purpose to compensate because you're a gold digger. But your stupid plan won't work on me. Try it on someone else," I rolled my eyes grabbing onto my suitcase because I needed to board the flight.

She takes a huge gasp at my words like I was lying. I have seen many cases like these happen at the airport. Women often do this to get money out of rich men. The phone in her hand is probably fake. She opens her mouth to speak again and my brain clinches at her confidence. Now she's going to play the victim for getting caught.