Chapter 116: Ulterior Motives

Start from the beginning

Harry threw her a half-hearted side-eye. ''It's been so long since I've been in a relationship. And the last one didn't end so well," he joked at his own expense.

''So you're just going to give up on it?''

Again, he laughed. Probably at her confidence. ''I don't know if I should listen to your advice. Your mothers are the textbook example of soulmates.''

''True. But doesn't that make you want to believe?'' Maya mused, amusement dancing in her eyes. She wasn't going to let him talk his way out of it unless he gave her a solid reason.

Harry looked at her and slowly shook his head, a smile on his face. ''You're way smarter than everyone gives you credit for, you know that?''

''I know.'' She grinned, adjusting the flower in her sweaty hand. The screen above the door said that the plane landed, so it was only a matter of time until Brooklyn came through those doors. "So does that mean you'll think about it? Lyn and I could help create your dating profile." "

Harry's eyes widened dramatically. "That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen."

''What do you mean?'' She gasped with fake hurt, mischief shining in her eyes. ''We know what women want to see. And we can always ask my moms. They're your age, one of them still somewhat finds men attractive, and they're both professionally trained in the art of seducing. I bet they have pointers.''

Harry looked horrified at the thought. ''I am not going to ask your moms for dating advice. That'll be the most humiliating thing I've ever done.''

Maya chuckled and shrugged. ''Honestly, they'll be happy to help. They love love.''

Harry thought about it for a moment. ''If you drop it, I promise to think about it.''

''Okay.'' That's the best she was going to get.

The first passengers started to file through the doors. They didn't have to wait on their luggage and only had a carry-on or backpack. Mostly businessmen and women, headphones on, eyes on their phones. The single woman who had been waiting with them greeted one of those suited men, her eyes twinkling as he kissed her hello.

Then the rest started pouring out. Families, couples, friends, a lot of individuals. The older gentleman took his hat off when his wife—dragging her suitcase behind her with great difficulty—approached him with the biggest smile. And the couple who also stood around waiting for the arrivals hugged what looked like their twenty-something-year-old kids.

Only Maya was left empty-handed, standing on her toes to try and look over people's heads. The stream of travelers was thick and endless. A small blonde was easily concealed.

She got more restless the longer it took, sweating under her arms and her heart pounding. It wasn't that big of a deal, but she got herself all worked up. What if Brooklyn's suitcase had gone missing? Or she was pulled out of the line for searching?

The worries were all for nothing, because suddenly, she appeared. Like the Red Sea, the crowd parted for a moment, long enough for her to spot them. Her eyes widened in surprise—Maya didn't say she'd be with Harry—and in a sudden rush, she pushed her way through, her large suitcase following behind.

Maya's heart did a loop when her eyes laid upon her girlfriend.

''Hi!'' Brooklyn exclaimed, a huge smile on her face.

Only a few steps away did she notice the sign in Maya's hands. Maya didn't blame her. If anyone asked what color Brooklyn's shirt was, she wouldn't be able to tell either. Her gaze was locked onto her face and only her face, and humor flashed across it when she read what the sign said.