Chapter 70: Hug And Kiss Probation

Natasha grabbed her phone from the nightstand to hit that alarm button. She hated using her phone for it, but she could hardly take her alarm clock with her to Russia. Her eyes traveled down to the brunette woman clinging onto her chest, who didn't make a move to open her eyes.

Her stomach dropped.

Softly, she brushed her fingers through her hair and whispered her name, but Katya made an annoyed noise and furrowed her brows. And not in a cute way. Her grip on Natasha disappeared when she curled into a ball, turning her back.

Suppressing a sigh, Natasha kissed her shoulder and got out of bed. No use to pull on her and tug her out. These reactions weren't voluntary, and Katya's mood would only get worse if she didn't leave her alone.

So, she took a long shower, got dressed - stealing one of Katya's sweaters - and crouched by her head afterwards, surprised to see that her blue eyes were opened. They weren't as distant as they sometimes were, only a bit glossy while she was lost in her head. But Natasha was glad to see that she hadn't retreated into her zombie state.

''I don't think I can make it this morning,'' Katya croaked out, her voice full of guilt and sadness.

Brushing her brown hair back with her fingers, Natasha offered a gentle smile. ''That's okay. I can take Maya to the palace myself.''

''I'm sorry,'' she whispered.

''No, don't be.'' Natasha shook her head, watching as Katya's eyes closed on their own. Her heart clenched, but she took solace in the fact that Katya appeared to be doing relatively okay and was able to talk and look at her. ''Are you gonna be okay while we're gone?''

''I'm just gonna sleep,'' Katya assured softly, halfway there. The blankets were pulled up to her chin, slightly shivering.

Natasha smiled at her cuteness. ''That sounds like a good idea. Need me to order you anything from room service before I go?''

'''M good.''

''Okay. We'll be back around one. Call me if you need me.'' She pressed her lips to her forehead, lingering to whisper, ''I love you.''

The corners of Katya's mouth twitched. ''I love you too.''

Checking to make sure Katya's phone had enough battery and was on sound, Natasha closed the bedroom door softly behind her. Her feelings were conflicted. On one hand, she hurt because Katya hurt - which was not a surprise after yesterday - but maybe the biggest part of her was relieved that the pit wasn't as deep as it normally was. It told her that the therapy worked, that there was progress.

Slowly but surely. Nice and steady.

Quietly, she woke Maya, who asked where her other mom was once she joined the breakfast table. Natasha had to give her a shake of her head. ''It's just gonna be the two of us this morning.'' Maya simply nodded, dropping her gaze to her plate.

The two of them ate their breakfast mostly in comfortable silence. Natasha had ordered Katya a smoothie, placing it in the mini fridge for now and leaving a note on the table saying it was there. In case Katya wanted it later.

''Where are we going today?'' Maya asked mid-breakfast.

''A gorgeous palace,'' Natasha promised, pulling out the map and pointing to a certain spot on it. ''With amazing golden statues and fountains.'' It was best they tried to make the most of a shitty situation and - no matter how cruel it sounded - tried to forget about Katya.

They left around nine, taking the spare key with them and locking the door. Kids were good at adapting quickly, and soon, Maya's happy chatter took over Natasha's brain as they walked through the city, clenching their teeth together at the ice-cold wind.