Chapter 76: Tell Me It's A Nightmare

May 30, 2024

Katya suppressed a sigh when her phone rang. Again. After dropping Maya off at school, the very empty kitchen cabinets had forced her to stop at the grocery store on the way home instead of putting it off for another week. Currently, a very colorful wall of cereal boxes challenged her patience, their line-up different from last time. But it was hard to focus when her lovely wife called for the third time to add something to the grocery list.

It always went like this. Before Katya would leave, Natasha would confirm that everything she needed was on the grocery list, even after excessively being asked for confirmation, only to text and call a dozen times when she was gone.

Occupied with cereal boxes, her hands scrambled to tap twice on her AirPods, hating the interruption of a good rock song. ''Yes, Natalia?'' The brunette mused, not surprised when Natasha completely ignored her tone and rambled her first question like she was a telemarketing worker.

''What snacks do you have in the cart?''

''The usual,'' Katya replied vaguely, only to pester her some. In a desperate attempt to multitask, her eyes flickered between the boxes in her hands and the dozens of other options on the shelves. Maya liked the incredibly sugary ones, which were so unhealthy that her teeth nearly crumbled on the spot.

''Which is...?''

A low hum vibrated in her throat, raking the dozens of colorful packages in her cart to find the unhealthy stuff that was reserved for the weekend only. Not many rules in their house, but soda and snacks were for Friday and Saturday nights. ''Salty chips, M&Ms, some of those gummies Maya likes.'' And Natasha's favorite chocolates, but those were a surprise.

''Hm, okay.''

An amused smile flashed across Katya's features, turning back to the cereal display while an older gentleman in the aisle looked at her weirdly for seemingly talking to the air. ''Did you call me just to ask that?''

''I wanted to make sure you didn't forget,'' Natasha answered nonchalantly, distracted. At least, that's what it sounded like. But there was something else she was too proud to say, a hidden drive for her behavior.

Katya chuckled, throwing the correct box of cereal in her cart and pushing it further while taking a glance at the shopping list. Apparently, the next thing on her list was... cat treats. Spoiled black monster. ''Darling, I love you, but every time I do groceries, this happens.'' To stop the boomer from seeing her as an insane asylum patient, she nodded at him with a kind smile as she passed. ''You call me at least three times for nothing.''

''This wasn't for nothing. Snacks are important.''

The angry pout was unmistakably audible in her tone, dumbly denying the crimes she was accused of instead of surrendering. Katya shook her head with amusement, crossing from aisle seven into six. ''Do you need anything else? Last chance. After I hang up, I'm not gonna answer the phone again.''

''Rude.''

Once more, an airy chuckle fell from her lips, finger reaching for the right AirPod. ''I'll see you at home.'' But before it could tap the device, a soft voice broke through the line.

''Don't take too long. I miss you.''

There it was. The real reason she called. Admitted it in the very end.

A warmth flooded Katya's chest, feeling her surroundings fall away as it was just her and her wife she couldn't see. ''I will be home as soon as I can. I promise.''

When no more declarations of love came from Natasha, Katya ended the call and enjoyed the return of the deep rhythmic bass blasting in her eardrums. Her lovestruck brain fog caused her to walk straight past the cat treats, backtracking like an idiot with a dumb smile carved into her face. Natasha was adorable, but also adorably annoying sometimes. It's a good thing her other qualities made up for that.