Inventing a story

I dedicate this chapter to nebiley for having a unique, captivating plot in her story Sociopath <3

The #1 most important part of a story: its plot line! The plot line of a story is the events that occur in a story. I've separated my plot advice into different chapters so I don't have one long chapter. This chapter circles around how you come up with a story idea.

Don't force ideas

You've been sitting at your desk for hours with no good ideas. Sure, you've scribbled down some tiny flickers of imagination, but you realize afterwards that you don't like it. Listen, J.K. Rowling didn't come up with the whole Harry Potter series in 10 minutes. Would you prefer a crappy plot that you can write now, or an amazing plot that might take you a week before you can start writing?

So what am I saying? That you'll never be inspired? No; not at all! You need to look elsewhere. You can't just force yourself to come up with an idea.

Let the idea come to you

Ideas come and go; you could be sitting on your bed, and suddenly inspiration strikes! You scramble to type in your brilliant idea before you forget, like in the morning after having a dream.

Now, these ideas aren't always perfect. You could think it's perfect and start researching information for your new book. Then, the next day, you reread your notes and realize it was a horrible idea.

Don't think this always happens though; that is how I came up with this book and look at you; you're reading it!

Through a dream

I don't know about you guys, but I rarely remember my dreams. It's a shame. The few I do remember are pretty strange. Or terrifying. No in between; just one or the other.

Anyway, let's say you have an amazing dream. One that could disappear from your mind's grasp in moments. Write down as much of your dream as possible. Trust me; it is extremely hard to remember details- or anything- from dreams if you don't write it down.

After you've written it down, take a look at it after you've fully awaken. You'll find lots of plot holes- or no plot at all. No big deal. Either don't use the idea, or plan a story around it. You won't have a perfect story without a little thought behind it.

Scroll through viable cover photos

You're looking through Google images with the keyword of 'love' and you see a girl and guy hugging and an idea reveals itself! This is how I used to do it, and it can work if you have a good site to look at.

I use an iPad Mini to use Wattpad and other apps. If you also use an IOS device, there is an app called WallpapersHD that has some great pictures. It isn't endless though. I've searched "Doctor Who" into its search engine which gave me very minimal results. However, if you search "love," more than 1,000 pages show up. With 9 on each page, that is over 9,000 pictures about love. You can easily save them to your photos.

Reread some of the popular Wattpad stories

You're totally blank on ideas. Maybe you could find ideas reading some of your favorite stories to remember what drew you in. Suddenly an idea forms!

Draw something

Let your inner creativity out! Draw a scene on the battlefield or maybe a vibrant sunset. Suddenly you have this epic war scene, or perhaps a romantic date watching the sunset (*cough* cliché *cough*), idea forming into your brain!

Listen to music

Listening to quiet music while doing something peaceful, such as drawing or reading, where your mind won't be distracted, is a great way to get inspired.

Another method of inspiration that has to do with music is focusing on your music's lyrics. If you unravel the poetic mysteries of lyrics, you could find yourself a great idea. I've listened to songs about war and rebellion and have been inspired to create a dystopian society! Try this technique, and you could be writing in no time.

Invent your story around a character

Create a character with a deep backstory. Now, create a story about said character. For example, you invent a story of a girl who's secretly an android gathering information for the government at a middle school. She's incapable of feeling emotions, but when a boy comes into her life she. . .

You get the idea. I haven't done this, but I always think about doing it. Try it out; tell me how it works out for you!

(P.S, instead of the android idea, I originally had a depressing idea and decided to change it. I literally came up with the android thing on the spot. It's not as hard as it looks.)

Make a list of events

Make a list of events that will occur in your story. Think of some disasters that your main characters will have to endure. A tornado destroying the city or an all-girl sleepover both are terrifying catastrophes that a story could have! (Only slightly kidding. . .)

____________________________________________________

I like the format of this chapter. What about you guys? Still more plot chapters coming :)

Word count: 878

- Raiiny