I'm Once Again The Best Earthbender

Y/n's POV

We'd arrived on the outskirts of a little ski town nestled in the mountains. The sign said WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO. The air was cold and thin. The roofs of the cabins were heaped with snow, and dirty mounds of it were piled up on the sides of the streets. Tall pine trees loomed over the valley, casting pitch-black shadows, though the morning was sunny.

Even though my zipped up jacket I was still freezing by the time we got to Main Street, which was about half a mile from the train tracks. 

We stopped in the middle of town. You could pretty much see everything from there: a school, a bunch of tourist stores and cafes, some ski cabins, and a grocery store.

"Great," Thalia said, looking around. "No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out."

"How about Uber or Lift?" I asked.

"None of us have phones, Y/n," Thalia replied. "Plus I doubt any driver in their right mind would drive a bunch of teenagers out in the snow without an explanation."

"Touche" I admitted.

"There's a coffee shop!" said Grover.

"Yes," Zoe said. "Coffee is good."

"And pastries," Grover said dreamily. "And wax paper."

Thalia sighed. "Fine. How about you two go get us some food? Y/n, Percy, Bianca, and I will check in the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

We agreed to meet back in front of the grocery store in fifteen minutes. Bianca looked a little uncomfortable coming with us, but she did.

Inside the store, we found out a few valuable things about Cloudcroft: there wasn't enough snow for skiing, the grocery store sold rubber rats for a dollar each, and there was no easy way in or out of town unless you had your car.

"You could call for a taxi from Alamogordo," the clerk said doubtfully. "That's down at the bottom of the mountains, but it would take at least an hour to get here. Cost several hundred dollars."

The clerk looked so lonely, Percy bought a rubber rat and I bought a mini Rubix cube. Then we headed back outside and stood on the porch.

"Wonderful," Thalia grumbled. "I'm going to walk down the street, and see if anybody in the other shops has a suggestion."

"But the clerk said—" Percy retorted

"I know," she said. "I'm checking anyway."

We let her go. She still seemed upset at Percy for the conversation about Luke, and I doubted she wanted to stick around just waiting in the snow.

The three of us stood there awkwardly for a bit. Percy looking down at his rat, Bianca gazing out at the snow, and me mindlessly turning the Rubix cube.

"Nice rat," she said at last. 

Percy set it on the porch railing. Maybe it would attract more business for the store. 

Bianca then looked over at me, still doing a terrible job at solving the cube, "What's that?"

I eyed her questioningly as I held it up, "This? It's a Rubix Cube."

She raised her eyebrow, "Huh, never heard of it before."

Percy looked at her strangely, "You've never seen a Rubix Cube?"

She shook her head, while Percy and I shared a perplexed look. Ultimately we decided not to press it further.

"So... how do you like being a Hunter so far?" Percy asked.