I Go Camping In The Shadow Realm

Y/n's POV

It was nice to be back at camp, I had barely been gone a day. But still, I felt instantly a thousand times better as soon as we stepped inside the barrier and that comforting presence of the Fleece overtook us. I could feel my power grow more stable within me, and I felt quite a bit stronger. But I still felt the dirk at my side humming again with that darkness, somehow it seemed even more unstable. I wanted to take it out and look to see if the crack was still there, but I decided against it.

Frost covered the chariot track and the strawberry fields. The cabins were decorated with tiny flickering lights, like Christmas lights, except they seemed to be balls of real fire. More lights glowed in the woods, and weirdest of all, a fire flickered in the attic window of the Big House, where the Oracle dwelt, imprisoned in an old mummified body. I wondered if the spirit of Delphi was roasting marshmallows up there or something.

"Whoa," Nico said as he climbed off the bus. "Is that a climbing wall?"

"Yeah," Percy said.

"Why is there lava pouring down it?"

"Little extra challenge. Come on, we'll introduce you to Chiron." I said, "Zoe how about you, have you met—"

"I know Chiron," Zoe said stiffly. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

"I'll show you the way," Grover offered.

"We know the way."

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here if you don't"—he tripped over a canoe and came up still talking—"like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoe rolled her eyes, but I guess she figured there was no getting rid of Grover. The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off toward the cabins. As Bianca di Angelo was leaving, she leaned over and whispered something in her brother's ear. She looked at him for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away.

"Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after the Hunters. He winked at Percy. "Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. I'll see you soon."

"What do you mean?"

Instead of answering, he hopped back on the bus. "Later, Thalia," he called. "And, uh, be good!"

He gave her a wicked smile as if he knew something she didn't. 

Then he looked over at me, and for a moment I saw his normal charming expression fade into slight worry. "Don't be a stranger, Y/n. Sometimes a lone wolf deserves more than being alone."

I was about to question how he knew about that, but I knew it was a dumb question. He was a god after all.

Then he closed the doors and revved the engine. I turned aside as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When I looked back, the lake was steaming. A red Maserati soared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight. Nico was still looking grumpy. I wondered what his sister had told him.

Percy then looked over at me, "What was that about?"

"What?" I asked him.

"The lone wolf thing?"

I shook my head lightly, "Nothing." I answered, "Probably just coming up with a haiku or something."

Before Percy had the chance to say anything, Nico piped up again, "Who's Chiron?" he asked. "I don't have his figurine."

"Our activities director," I said. "He's... well, you'll see.

"If those Hunter girls don't like him," Nico grumbled, "that's good enough for me. Let's go."