6

"Mr. Marvin, would you join us for a minute?"

Arthur Marvin stopped in the middle of the café under the canopy on the upper deck and looked at the young couple seated at a table to his right.

"Do we know each other?" he asked.

"My name is Henry Fairfax," the young man rose from his chair and held out his hand to Marvin.

"And this is an old acquaintance of mine whom I happened to meet aboard this steamer, Olga Desmond," Fairfax pointed to his companion after Marvin shook his hand.  "Please sit down, Mr. Marvin. I won't keep you very long, just a few words. Something to drink?"

"Nice to meet you, Miss Desmond," Marvin said as he took a seat at the table.  "I've heard a lot about your Evenings of Beauty. Well, Mr. Fairfax, I think a little bourbon will do me fine."

"Waiter, two bourbons, please, and a martini for the girl," Fairfax ordered.

"So, what do you want to talk with me about? - Marvin asked, leaning back in his chair.

"I've seen all your pictures, Mr. Marvin. I just love them. You are undoubtedly one of the greatest American filmmakers."

"You flatter me, sir. You're British, I presume?"

"Yes, I am an actor from London," replied Fairfax. "A stage actor, but I'm a great fan of the cinema, and intend to start a career in motion pictures. That, in fact, is the purpose of my journey to America."

"I suppose you want my advice, Mr. Fairfax."

"Well, I would be glad to know the best way to get into this business in America."

"You see, in order to star in a movie..."

"A movie?"

"Yeah, movies, that's what we call motion pictures in America," Arthur Marvin explained. "So, to appear in a movie you must first of all have connections."

"Could you help me make those connections? "Henry Fairfax smiled embarrassedly as he took one of the bourbons in his hand after the waiter brought the drinks.

Arthur Marvin took his drink and looked the actor in the face.

"Why don't you tell me straight out - you just want me to give you a part in one of my movies, don't you?" The filmmaker took one sip from his glass.

"Well, yes, you see," Fairfax hesitated, "we could have a sort of audition right here on the ship, so I could show you all my acting skills and abilities. I could read a few lines from famous plays. Oh, I know films are mute, so of course verbal skills are useless. Well, I could perform some pantomime to demonstrate my body language and express the whole gamut of emotions with my face."

"To tell you the truth, Mr. Fairfax, I don't usually negotiate with aspiring actors, but this wonderful sea around us, this fresh, brackish scent of air, this whole atmosphere of a transatlantic journey, all this makes me so disposed to be friendly with fellow travelers that I am even prepared to make you an interesting proposal. After you show me your pantomime, of course."

"Really?" Olga Desmond exclaimed. "You think you may give Henry a part in a motion picture?"

"I think I may," replied the filmmaker, finishing his bourbon.

"Waiter, another round of drinks, please!" Henry Fairfax cried out joyfully. "Repeat the whole thing again!"

"Henry, I haven't finished my martini yet," said Olga.

"So finish it! We must toast to this opportunity, Olga! Mr. Marvin,could you give us at least a rough idea of your possible proposal?"

"We're about to start shooting a new movie," Marvin said. "It will be based on the famous legend of Diana and Actaeon, the story of the unlucky young hunter turned into a deer and torn to pieces by his own dogs right after he sees Diana bathing in a forest pool. So, I think you could be one of the contenders for the lead role, Actaeon."