2

A week earlier

Upper Street,
London

Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were strolling aimlessly down the street, when the detective said:

"Dear Watson, do you mind enjoying some entertainment at this hour of day?" 

"It depends. What kind of entertainment would you suggest?"

"Some of a modern kind. I mean cinema. Look, we're approaching the Electric Theatre. Let's see what's on."

Soon they were standing under the domed roof of the outer vestibule of the theater and reading the announcements

"How about this film from Austria, dear Watson?" Holmes pointed out at one of the posters, then looked at his watch. "Contains scenes of nudity, the description says, and it starts in ten minutes."

"Living Marble by Johan Schwarzer of Vienna," Watson read out the title. "Claimed to be one of the most popular Austrian films of the year."

"So, Watson, what do you say? Can we indulge in some nude scenes now?"

"Why not. Let's get inside."

The film lasted no longer than six minutes, and no sooner had the show ended and the lights come on, than Sherlock Holmes jumped up from his seat and shouted:

"Eureka, Watson! I got it! I understand it now!"

"What do you understand, Holmes?" asked Watson, up on his feet and pushing his friend along the row of seats toward the exit. 

"To the Northumberland hotel at once!" exclaimed Holmes.

"Ah, the very hotel where Sir Henry Baskerville once stayed?"

"Watson, forget about Sir Henry and his bloody hound. We must see Baron Barnard as soon as possible."

"The man who visited you yesterday?"

"Yes, that's the one. Run outside and catch a cab. Hurry up, please!"

Once in the hansom cab, Watson said:

"We might have taken one of those new motor cabs. I take it we're in a big hurry and those cars are way faster than horse-drawn cabs."

"And they are way more dangerous, Watson. Never been in a motorcar accident?"

"Not yet. Oh, I haven't told you yet - I'm taking driving lessons these days. Well, Holmes, why all this hurry? You told me that Baron Barnard visited you at Baker Street yesterday, but never mentioned the purpose of his visit."