1

1 a.m., August 1909

The English Channel,
the promenade deck of SS George Washington en route from Bremen to New York via Southampton and Cherbourg

"Elementary, my dear Watson," Sherlock Holmes said, turning to his companion, who was standing beside him on the deck, dressed as a woman

"Elementary, my dear Watson," Sherlock Holmes said, turning to his companion, who was standing beside him on the deck, dressed as a woman. "You're asking me what the idea of this masquerade is, aren't you?"

"Yes, Holmes, that's exactly what I want to know. You still haven't told me why I need this silly outfit - a frock and a lady's hat, and this new name - Mrs. Brown."

"You're Mr. Brown's wife, that is, my honest and beloved spouse. You see, we both have to conceal our identities aboard this ship."

"But it's me who, for some reason, must present myself as a woman, while you retain your male appearance. You haven't even changed your famous deerstalker cap for something else, whereas I am supposed to be wearing this getup and behave myself as a lady all throughout our eight days' voyage from Southampton to New York. That's how I get your plan, am I not right?"

"You're absolutely right, my dear friend. Your fake female identity is going to play a decisivel role in this case, which will undoubtedly be the last link in the long chain of my attempts to destroy my archenemy, Professor Moriarty."

Sherlock Holmes drew his smoking pipe from his pocket and unhurriedly lit it.

"Do you think Professor Moriarty is on board George Washington?" asked Watson.

"According to my information, as well as my deduction, he's due to board the liner this morning in Cherbourg. He has completed his criminal affairs in Europe and now intends to continue them in New York."

"What's he up to now?"

The detective made a long drag from his pipe, then slowly let the smoke out of his mouth.

"For more than a year Moriarty has been stealing pieces of art, very specific art, I must say. He stashes a collection of art representing female nudity, namely paintings and statues of naked women. He robbed several dozen museums and private collections, palaces and castles all over Europe. Now this Napoleon of crime has devised a vicious plan to rob the Metropolitan Museum of New York city, as well as some other museums of art in the United States."

"Naked women?" Watson pronounced thoughtfully. "What's got into him? Where did this obsession with women's forms come from?"

"We'll find it out very soon, dear Watson, and, as I said, you're going to play the key role in it."

"I hope you don't intend to get Moriarty interested in my naked body, dear Holmes."

"Of course not. But remember this, when you're around Moriarty, two things are vital to you. The first is the presence of mind. Got it, my dear friend?"

"The presence of mind," Watson repeated, nodding his head. "And the second?"

"Well, let me begin from afar, - said Holmes. Two years ago I handled a case in which I was absolutely sure of the nationality of the criminal - he was certainly Russian, and I knew that he was one of the guests of the aristocratic reception I was present at that moment. But which one of them? How could I figure him out? All the guests were introduced as English noblemen. So I decided to read this sonnet by William Rose to everyone around me, and then I reached these lines: