Billy glared down at Charlotte. "Hey Gilbert."

Charlotte's knuckles went white as she gripped the bark of the trees behind her. Air was begining to come, the feeling of her passing out any moment still evident. Tears brimmed in her eyes as the dreaded feeling still camped out in the insides.

"Man, it's good to be back." Gilbert stepped forward until he was in front of Billy and Charlotte, putting himself between the two.

Billy glanced over his shoulder towards Anne, then Charlotte. "Welcome back."

"Yeah, it's good to see you buddy." Gilbert glanced behind him at the brunette who was practically shrinking into the tree out of fear, her body physically shaking, then back at Billy. "Are you guys, playing a game or something? Looks fun but we should probably get back to school."

"Yeah, I was just about to get going," Billy replied before glancing over at Anne and Charlotte. "See you there."

As Billy walked away, Anne walked towards Charlotte. "Are you okay?"

Charlotte simply nodded, not being able to form words. She whispered the only ones she could form. "You go, I'll catch up."

Anne looked regretful as she nodded, glancing at Gilbert before following the path Billy had taken.

As soon as she left, Charlotte placed her hand over her chest, attempting to get her breathing back to normal.

"You alright?" Gilbert spoke up, alerting Charlotte to the fact he was still standing there, watching as she gasped for breath.

Charlotte winced. Gilbert had only ever seen her in school, or at other Avonlea gatherings or when she bumped into him sometimes. But all those times, she had been confident and outspoken. Not shaking with fear over a boy. She didn't want him to see her like this, didn't want for him to think she was cowardly or weaker than she really was. But she couldn't help the fact she shrunk into the tree, wheezing from the force Billy had slammed her several times.

Gilbert leaned down slightly to look at her, aware of the loss of breath she was experiencing and knowing the quick paced bursts of air she was taken weren't going to help her with anything. "Just take a few deep breaths, count to ten in your head, and match your breathing with your numbers."

Charlotte closed her eyes, doing the steps he said. As she opened them again, Gilbert was still there. She had expected him to leave, hoped he had left. "Thanks."

Gilbert nodded, leaning down to pick up her sack, handing it to her, watching as her still shaking hands took it from him.

To him, Charlotte was interesting. Any girl he had ever met, Charlotte wasn't like any of them. She was smart, loud, quick-tempered and terrifying at times. She was the top student, alongside him. He enjoyed competing against her, the way she always somehow managed to make him try harder at the work, just so he could keep up with her.

Charlotte pulled her sack over her shoulder, stepping away from the tree. "We have to go."

Gilbert nodded, not leaving her side as she continued walking. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Charlotte brushed him away, just wanting to be left alone. Though since the Cuthbert's adopted Anne, the sound of silence didn't feel as comforting as it used to.

"Who was the girl with you?" Gilbert asked. He knew Charlotte was stubborn, the signal she didn't want him there flying right over his head as she ignored the question, clenching her jaw and pulling out her slate, continuing to finish the sums she was given.

"You know you can speak to me," Gilbert continued walking at the same pace as her, sneaking glances at her work. "I won't bite you."

"I'm trying to focus."