08. A NEW QUEEN

1x08

A NEW QUEEN

Later in the evening when Cerys returned to the fortress with Laenor, the princess joined her father and sister for dinner

Later in the evening when Cerys returned to the fortress with Laenor, the princess joined her father and sister for dinner. She was late joining them so when she entered her father's room she did so in her dragon riding clothes. Which made her father smile because it was something he already expected. As usual, she sat at the opposite end of the table with Rhaenyra on her right. Several times she had insisted that her sister take her place at the table, but the youngest only refused, claiming that despite having the title of heir and deserve that place at the table, she was not. And for saying things like that Cerys constantly hit her, reaffirming her commitment to seeing her sitting on the iron throne by hook or by crook.

Dinner was becoming too awkward for any of the three to like, but none of them wanted to be the first to speak. Cerys took the glass of wine from her and took a long drink, if she was going to have to go through that torture she would do it with a slightly cloudy head.

"We haven't talked much," Rhaenyra's voice was the one that broke the silence, "since..."

The eldest of the sisters looked from her sister to her father, the king was also looking at them and when her eyes collided with those of her eldest daughter she let out a sigh.

"And it's something I regret," the man admitted regretfully, "we should be free to talk to each other."

"I wish it were that easy." Cerys took another sip of her wine.

Viserys looked at the joined hands of his daughters and for a second he wished he could return to the time when they were just little girls running around the fortress filling the place with happiness. The sisters could see the doubt on their father's face and couldn't help but wonder if something bad had happened, usually when people hesitated to say something it was because they were going to tell bad news. And sadly it was bad news, depending on your point of view.

"I loved your mother very much."

"Me too". Rhaenyra nodded with a sad smile.

"We all did." Cerys looked down.

After saying that the table fell into silence for several seconds until Rhaenyra let go of her sister's hand to continue eating, Viserys followed her actions immediately. But Cerys was left thinking about what had just happened, she could hear her father and her sister talking as background noise to her thoughts, but she didn't pay attention to them. At least not until she heard her name called and her full attention returned to the table.

"Cerys could share the teachings of King Jaehaerys with you." Viserys looked at her eldest daughter with a small smile.

The sisters looked at each other and Cerys smiled, reaching out with her hand to caress Rhaenyra's cheek.

"I could, but I don't think she'll learn anything."

The youngest slapped her sister's hand away, rolling her eyes as a smile appeared on her face. Viserys's smile grew as he saw the interaction between his daughters, seeing them so united filled him with peace and happiness. Especially since neither of them had any conflict with the issue of succession. When dinner was over Rhaenyra hung on her sister's arm and they left together, as soon as they were alone in a hallway they stopped her steps sharing a look.