Lost in the darkness

The dark words continued to echo in my mind, "Charlotte! You're grounded!" I felt the cold, misty air pushing against my face as I ran. I knew they wouldn't dream of following me, not here. The moon shone bright in the middle of the violet sky, it was the only light in these dark woods. I looked over my shoulder, tall, dark trees as far as the eye could see, no houses, no people. I stopped running, skidding slowly to a stop, but the previous night's rain was still resting on the cold ground, and it led me slipping through the grass. I couldn't stop sliding, not until a tree stump stood in my path. My right foot twisted backwards at a horrifying angle, I cried with pain as my shoe started to fill with blood. Then I realized something as I turned back to look at the lone tree stump, a clean cut, this tree was...chopped. My dad would never go into these woods, and no one else lived around here. How did this tree get cut? Unless...I wasn't alone. Panic filled my body as I started frantically looking around, for a house, a fire, a person, something. "Hello?!" I cried out into the darkness, I scanned the ground for something that could help me, then I quickly managed to find myself a stick I could use to walk on. After falling about 5 times, I finally was able to balance myself. I hesitantly trudged back to the house I had so desperately tried to escape from. I didn't want to see my father again, but I also didn't want to sit alone, injured in this dark forest. I followed my previous footsteps until they suddenly stopped. I looked up, but there was nothing, just trees, no house. I looked over my shoulder, my past footsteps were now gone, but there were still two pairs of footprints. One pair was mine, and one pair was...someone else's...leading right towards me. "H-...hello?" I squeaked out, shaking, the stick suddenly broke underneath my weight, causing me to fall to the ground. Two black feet walked out from behind the trees, then I felt something creeping onto my legs. I looked back and saw two giant, black tentacles slowly wrapping themselves around them. I tilted my head upwards and cried with fear at the faceless man gazing down at me.