34. Take a Chance on Me

Mulai dari awal

He hears the soft paddling of feet on the tiles coming his way. Jason finally opens his eyes, with one last whimper and meets Bluey's green eyes. They almost glow in the dark, a side effect of the Lazarus Pit.

"Jaybean, luv, it's okay. You're safe." She pulls him into an embrace, holding him close. Her skin is still cool from the shower.

Leaning against the couch, she shifts him between her legs and dig in her pocket. A packet of cigarettes. It's like she read his mind. Jason buries his face into her chest, inhaling her scent. He breathes out heavily, relaxing his tense body against hers. He feels so secure in her arms.

She traces his jaw lightly, tipping his head up. He watches as she lights the cigarette in her mouth before passing it to him. He inhales, letting the smoke fill his lungs, before blowing it out slowly.

It's really strong. She told him a couple days ago that she got them in Belle Reve.

He just hopes the nicotine will do soothing to take the edge off his shot nerves. Jason takes another drag and exhales, watching the smoke drift up in a halo around Bluey before it slowly fades into oblivion.

She runs her fingers gently through the strands of his soft hair, whispering to him how much she loves and that she will always be there when he needs her most. His breathing begins to slow down as he listens to her voice along with the sound of her heartbeat. Such a soothing combination. At last, he feels calmer and stubs out the fag on the floor. His eyes remain closed, enjoying the feeling of being taken care of.

She gives him more smooches on the head than he can count. He feels warm and happy and warm on the inside from receiving her love.

Another clap of thunder booms and Jason tenses, immediately hoping she doesn't notice. There goes any progress he might have made in calming down.

Blue eyes him for a moment. Crap, she noticed. Dammit.

She just lights another cigarette for him.

It makes Jason feel like a child on Christmas morning when she pampers him with her love. He can never get enough of her affection.

"Thank you," he mumbles.

"Don't worry about it." She kisses him again.

Gita can only imagine what Jason's mind must be like, probably a minefield. Because being murdered and blown up does wonders for the mental health. She often wonders if any of the others ever looked at things from his perspective.

Morals and justice aside, if they had really thought about what it's like in his head. She's seen it all. The crowbar, the seconds before his death and the hopelessness on his face when he realised Bruce couldn't save him.

Yes, Jason has taken it to the extreme, but that the type of guy he is. Go big or go home. Plus, Jason's circumstances were a bit... different.

Some might pity him, but she thinks he's the strongest person she's ever known.

Several minutes later a particularly loud clap of thunder booms. It sounds like it's right above the safehouse and Gita could've sworn she feels the ground shake.

Jason grabs her arm and yells, his breathes coming out in ragged gasps. She hates seeing him like this and not fearless, arrogant, fact-of-life Jason with the fierce look in those ice blue eyes. Sarcastic. Impatient. Look carefully at the "I-Really-Wish-I-Was-Blowing-Stuff-Up-Right-Now" button.

The man who can make gangs head for the hills at the very mention of his name. But now he seems so vulnerable and scared.

"Jason," she says.