19. Bring Me the Head of Amanda Waller

One month, five days, and six hours. It is like Gita dropped off the face of the Earth. There was no trace of her. Jason had called Tim to find her, but he had come up with nothing. He started hacking into government cameras trying to find anything. He hated the feeling of searching and searching and finding nada. He was staring to question if she was even alive.

Damian glared at everyone, and never smiled. He was benched from patrol for being too violent - he seemed like he was the little assassin he was when his mother left him in Gotham. He was ruthless in the field and almost killed a few people. He was moodier than ever and almost never came out of his room or the training room. Damian blamed himself. If he hadn't been so reckless and got himself shot, she wouldn't have suited up herself.

Dick stopped coming back the manor after he hear Gita was gone and became the wrath of Blüdhaven. He and his parents used to soar. Then Dick watched them fall. Since that day, he's tried to catch everyone. Now he's let it happen again and he couldn't do anything, so he surrounded himself in work and patrol as he almost drowned in the stress and grief. Slowly he was getting better, but no one in the Batfamily knows how to grieve. He wants to say goodbye and move forwards, but Jason is holding onto a shred of hope that she's alive.

Duke didn't know Gita as well as the others, but he sees the way her disappearance weighs on them. He's used his powers to look into the past around the manor, picking up light echo of a poker game, or her sitting at the kitchen table drawing with Damian. Duke began to notice how the kid looked up to her. Don't even get him started on how Jason looked at her.

Jason's in denial. She can't be gone; he refuses to believe it. She promised to be back in a few days, she wouldn't break that promise, not to him. But as slowly summer starts slipping away, he finds it harder to believe that she's still out there. Jason went as far as to Warndurala Station find her - the only useful thing he got out of anyone was from her brother. They were so alike it was uncanny, right down to the speech pattern. "Come on, mate," Darren had said in exasperation. "If you're this in love with her, you know that you never give up hope until you are presented with actual Gita skeleton, solemnly registered and verified by the Valkyrie Death Committee as completely authentic." Jason hated the man he became in her absence. But it felt so good to take out his anger on someone. He and Bruce weren't on good term due to the deaths caused by Red Hood. And Jason blamed Bruce, it's his fault Blue was gone - missing. He never goes to the manor and never works with anyone but himself.

When he walks the streets of Gotham and looks into the face... of every man and woman there. He was asking a single question...

"Have you seen Bluey?"

Jason sits on his bed starting at the books he read with her, remembering the nights they'd sent together where her body had warmed him. The books are starting to collect dust and the True History of the Kelly Gang is damn near falling apart since he's never in the mood for reading and feels like he shouldn't unless Bluey's there with him. He kept replaying their last moment moments together. He shouldn't have let her go. He should've helped her. He knows better than anyone the side effects of the Lazarus Pit - he found it amazing she'd come out sane at all. He should've done anything other than just standing there for fucks sake!

He hated how much of a hold Blue had on him in the month he had known her.

Jason's mobile rings, forcing him to wipe away the tears and clears his throat. "What?"

"Jason, we still haven't seen or heard anything about Gita. But we can wait-"

"Is that what you did with me?" he snaps. "Wait until you heard something."

"Jason-"

He snaps his phone shut, feeling all the grief in him replaced with rage. It lights his blood like fire. Bruce had been subtly as for a funeral after the first two of her being gone. He had only ever seen her as another mission, and Jason doesn't think Bruce's ever really loved anyone. A funeral means saying goodbye, Jason doesn't want to believe the girl he loved - still loves is gone. Of course he knows he will have to say goodbye at some point - everyone dies eventually - but she had so much to live for.

It doesn't feel like she died. He feels it in his gut; she's out there somewhere. If she's really out there, he wants to start a life together. Have kids, a dog and a cat. He doesn't care as long as he got to be there with Blue. He wants to pick her up from wherever she's working and take her on dates. Maybe they could sit down on Saturday nights and watch movies with ice cream.

Jason's biggest regret is not asking her to take the next level. He wishes he could have spent some time with her romantically. Not just as friends that like each other.

He spending more and more time thinking about what life could've been like with Blue when he should just let it go. Maybe he should just except the fact that she's gone. No, Blue wouldn't give up on him if the situation were reversed.

Jason wipes the stray tears from his and grabs his jacket. The air in the apartment seems so suffocating. He has to get out. He doesn't know where he is going but he knows he can't stay here. He's going to look for her, whatever it takes. Jason quickly packs a bag with his Red Hood gear and a couple of civies. He promises himself he won't stop until he finds her.

"I'll find you Blue."

Meme of the day