47. Official Fugitives

Start from the beginning

This was something she had been theorising about for a few weeks, but today would be the first time she's testing it out in the field.

She closed her eyes to concentrate and that was when she sensed Pietro becoming aware that something was about to happen.

"You know you really shouldn't close your eyes in the middle of a fight," He said, cockily.

Amara worked hard to gain control of the air between her and Pietro. Grasping onto every particle, every molecule. It was hard, but she finally managed to grab ahold of them all.

That was when he started rushing forward at full speed, heading straight for Amara.

She used everything inside of her to force the air to slow down.

Pietro came to a quick halt, right in front of Amara, a gust of wind flying past her face and sending her hair flailing behind her. A confused expression was plastered on Pietro's face as he began running at the pace of a normal human.

He looked down at his slowed-down feet, then at Amara, "What the hell did you just do?"

"I just increased the air resistance around you by around 400%. All that friction sure makes it hard for you to move, even with your powers. Basically, I temporarily cancelled out your speed gene," Amara replied. "You're not the only one with new tricks."

With his loss of speed, Pietro became helpless. He couldn't do anything to stop Amara from sending him to the ground and wrapping his arms and legs in ropes made of vine.

"For what it's worth, you've gotten better," Amara said, looking down at him, breathing heavily. "Now do me a favour and stay down?"

Pietro just grumbled as he rested his head, face down into the gravel beneath him.

Amara was about to help the now-bound, Pietro to his feet when she saw a flash of red on his wrists.

Wanda, Amara concluded just as the girl showed up behind Pietro. The red of her magic danced along her fingers and then spread to Pietro's restraints.

Amara's eyes widened when she saw the vines become looser around Pietro's wrists and ankles until he was fully released before Amara even had the chance to regain control.

"Really? You're going to capture your best friend?" Wanda asked.

"I'm trying to help him, Wanda," Amara pleaded, but she knew that Wanda was more powerful than her on a regular day, but when she's personally motivated, Amara doesn't stand a chance.

"You help him by not arresting him."

Frustration filled Amara's entire body as Wanda used one of her hands to push Amara back and away from Pietro, using her powers.

Amara's entire body glowed from the red circling around her and she fell to her knees as Pietro picked Wanda up and quickly zoomed off in the opposite direction, but not before he threw a glance back at his best friend, unsure of how to feel as he watched the grief settle on the frown between her eyebrows.

Amara stood back up slowly, dusting the dirt off of her and sighing, "Damn it."

She closed her eyes, unhappy about how the situation had turned out. However, she came to terms with it rather swiftly, accepting that this was the way it was going to be now.

She, once again, took to the sky to resume her search for Peter Parker, looking back down, guilt-stricken, at the place where she had held her best friend in restraints mere moments ago.

That familiar sinking feeling settled in her stomach, once more, only this time, she didn't think it would disappear as easily as the last.

—————